Q. I am getting flare-ups of atopic dermatitis with change in weather. Please help.

Dr. Vikash Paudel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2020

I have been experiencing flare-ups for weeks now. I do not know if this has something to do with the change of weather. I have been having trouble sleeping lately since I am very uncomfortable right now. I am using Cetaphil gentle wash and shampoo because my scalp gets itchy as well. I am using Elica ointment and somehow it helps me with some of the areas that are not really that worse, however, the uncomfortable feeling is still there. Sometimes I take antihistamines, however, I do not think that it helps me feel relieved with my atopic dermatitis.

I am 28 years old and a project manager. My clients are in the US and I need to follow their timezone, my shift starts at 10 PM to 7 AM. I weigh around 190 lbs and I am 5'1". I also have an irregular menstrual cycle, and I usually get my period every quarter. I have asthma and I am currently taking Seretide inhaler as prescribed by my doctor. Please help.

Dr. Vikash Paudel

Dermatology
#

Atopic dermatitis is relatively more sort of relapsing with seasonal aggravation. It has a genetic and familial component as well. If you have severe symptoms which is hampering your daily activities you need to start with systemic immunosuppressants like Prednisolone and or Azathioprine.

Elica ointment i.e. Mometasone is good enough for skin lesions. But I would rather add on Tacrolimus gel 0.1% over the inflamed lesions. But you need to use moisturizers very frequently than previous. You need to take antihistamine on a daily basis.

Reduce your stress. Avoid wool and strong soaps. Practice wet wrap therapy.

| 

Is Prednicort a good medicine for arthritis pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I want an opinion for my mother. My mother has been feeling arthritis pain since last few years. Recently, I have read somewhere about a medicine name Prednicort (5 mg) which is specially used for asthma disease. But, I have read that this medicine is also helpful for arthritis pain. Is...  Read Full »

Can you suggest any effective ayurvedic oil for atopic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is suffering from atopic dermatitis from the past five years. She is going to be 6 years old in a few months. We have taken her to multiple doctors including allopathy, ayurveda, homeopathy, etc. Could you please suggest any effective ayurvedic oils for giving relief to he...  Read Full »

My baby is suffering from eczema. Please suggest some treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 months old baby has pretty bad eczema. Just recently, he had a bad flare-up in which he was weeping from both legs, arms, hands and cheeks. For 80% of the day he is suffering with rash and seems to have no relief at all. He scratches and cries continuously throughout the day and wak...  Read Full »