Q. One month old baby has not passed stool for four days. Is it something to be worried?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My one-month-old has not passed stool for four days. She is passing smelly gas a lot, and she is not sleeping properly. Her stomach grumbles. Why?

Do you have a question on Baby Constipation or Baby Care?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

MBBS., DCH., MRCPCH., MRCPSYCH., CCT ( CHILD & ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry

1. Was your baby passing stools usually before these four days? How often was she passing stools?

2. When did the baby first pass meconium (first stool)?

3. Was she passing soft stools? Was it easy to move?

4. Was she born at full term? What is her weight? How is she feeding? Breast milk or formula feed?

5. Is she fine with your feeding?

6. It is common for newborn babies on breastfeeding to pass stool only once every few days. Some babies pass stools more than seven times in a day, some pass stools once in seven days. Both of these are a regular pattern. What is important is whether the stools are soft and comfortable to pass?

7. If you are breastfeeding, continue feeding her as usual. If formula-fed, consider adding some more water or change of brand.

8. If your baby is in pain or very uncomfortable or vomiting, you need to take her to her pediatrician today for physical examination. I hope this helps.

Yes, she was passing normally three-four times. She passed meconium last month. Her stools were yellow watery. Easy to pass. She was bored full term. Exclusive breast feeding.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry

If your daughter passed meconium within the first 48 hours after birth, it is reassuring. Continue exclusive breastfeeding as usual. It is normal for breast fed babies to pass stools less frequently. You can try gently massaging her tummy with fingertips and moving her legs very smoothly while giving her bath. Do not do it vigorously. Continue gentle playing with her as usual. It is not advisable to provide any medication to a baby before she is examined. If there are other concerns like not feeding or vomiting or incessant cry, she needs to be considered by her pediatrician. Otherwise, you can continue as usual.

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?
Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full >>
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the weight gain of your baby is fine. Normally birth weight doubles by the age of 6 months, which I think it has. As for 7-1/2 months of age, the weight is only a very little bit lesser probably because of reflux issues. Also, babies pass stools either 10...  Read Full

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?
Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, it is said that radiations from the mobile tower are not carcinogenic. However, there is no proof for that. This statement is based on research. Currently, there are no guidelines stating that one should stay away from mobile tower radiations, so there is noth...  Read Full

What is VSD?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.  Read Full >>
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me try to explain you the diagnosis. VSD- ventricular septal defect, is a communication between the lower chambers of the heart, which in normal should not be present. The problem with VS...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now