Q. One month old baby has not passed stool for four days. Is it something to be worried?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My one-month-old has not passed stool for four days. She is passing smelly gas a lot, and she is not sleeping properly. Her stomach grumbles. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

1. Was your baby passing stools usually before these four days? How often was she passing stools?

2. When did the baby first pass meconium (first stool)?

3. Was she passing soft stools? Was it easy to move?

4. Was she born at full term? What is her weight? How is she feeding? Breast milk or formula feed?

5. Is she fine with your feeding?

6. It is common for newborn babies on breastfeeding to pass stool only once every few days. Some babies pass stools more than seven times in a day, some pass stools once in seven days. Both of these are a regular pattern. What is important is whether the stools are soft and comfortable to pass?

7. If you are breastfeeding, continue feeding her as usual. If formula-fed, consider adding some more water or change of brand.

8. If your baby is in pain or very uncomfortable or vomiting, you need to take her to her pediatrician today for physical examination. I hope this helps.

| 

Yes, she was passing normally three-four times. She passed meconium last month. Her stools were yellow watery. Easy to pass. She was bored full term. Exclusive breast feeding.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

If your daughter passed meconium within the first 48 hours after birth, it is reassuring. Continue exclusive breastfeeding as usual. It is normal for breast fed babies to pass stools less frequently. You can try gently massaging her tummy with fingertips and moving her legs very smoothly while giving her bath. Do not do it vigorously. Continue gentle playing with her as usual. It is not advisable to provide any medication to a baby before she is examined. If there are other concerns like not feeding or vomiting or incessant cry, she needs to be considered by her pediatrician. Otherwise, you can continue as usual.

| 

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full »

What is VSD?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 28 days old. During her normal check up, after Doppler echocardiography it is found that she has a small VSD. The doctor said that it is normal and generally by a year it will get cured. But, I would like to have a second opinion with you. Please help.  Read Full »