Q. How to control loose motions in a 1 month old baby?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I have a 1 month old boy baby, his mother died during the delivery. We feed him cow's milk, but he is having loose motions. How to control the loose motions?

#

It is so sad to hear about his mom.

• First, we need to clarify whether he has diarrhea, because sometimes, increased frequency of stools due to gastrocolic reflex may be considered as diarrhea.
  • If he has diarrhea, then we need to look at the causes, for example, infection, faulty feeding, etc. Then we can plan the management.
  • So you tell me about the following.
  1. What is the frequency and consistency of the stools?
  2. Does he have a fever? Is there a decrease in feeding?
  3. How do you prepare the feed? Do you maintain hygiene?
  • For prevention, you need to maintain hygiene.

Revert with more information to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

When we feed him cow's milk, within minutes he passes stool. The frequency is directly related to the number of feed, say five times a day. And the quantity of the stool is proportionate to the milk. Yesterday he had a fever, but today the fever is mild. We are giving cow's milk by adding some sugar. The color of the stool is green, we give milk with a nipple. The hygiene is not good because we live in a very remote area. Please suggest the treatment and precautions.

#

Here, I got the clue to solve the issue.

• The whole problem is that added sugar. Nothing should be added to the baby's milk. It causes increased osmolarity and leads to feed intolerance due to decreased absorption.
  • Babies pass a stool after feed due to gastrocolic reflex, but it should not be watery, and growth should be adequate.
  • There should be no compromise on the hygiene. Baby should be fed by spoon and not with a bottle. If a bottle is a must, then try to keep 8 to 10 bottles for a day and clean them immediately after feeding. Better to give formula feed, it will be hygienic.
  • Monitor the baby's weight every week on the same machine, and it will increase the concentration of the caregiver about baby care. And they will be more concerned.
  • Right now, he does not need antibiotics if feeding is well and activity is good. Monitor the temperature, if there is a fever of more than 100 F, then we need to give antibiotics. Keep in touch with a pediatrician.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|