Q. My 4 month baby has not passed stools. Please help.

Dr. Lalit Bansal
Published on Jan 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 27, 2019

My baby is 4 months old and is vomiting in between while having breast milk. His belly is not much hard, but there is more swelling when compared to the breastfeeding days. He has been switched to formula feed from Sunday night and till now he has not passed stools. I am worried about this. Please suggest anything natural. Thank you.

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Neurology Paediatrics
#

It is common to have a decrease in stool frequency or constipation after switching from breast milk to formula feed. As long as your child is feeding well, passing gas from below, has no vomiting and has a soft belly, there is nothing to worry about.

It is normal to pass stool once every 2-3 days. Also, you may noticea change in stool color (green) after switching to formula feed.

In this scenario, you can try using a cotton Q-tip (cotton swab). Apply some lubrication on it and stimulate the rectal area to see if your child passes stool. If this does not help, then try seeing your local pediatrician who can help with rectal stimulation and passage of his stool.

Can vomiting cause eye pain and bruising?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend started vomiting last night and I noticed that his eyelids were red and bruised. Is there something else besides the vomiting that could have caused the bruised eyelids?  Read Full »

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Could vomiting cause prominence of the vessels of sclera?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I was bulimic for about a year. It happens once or twice a week. I never noticed any permanent changes in my eyes throughout my episodes. However, the last time I ever binged and purged three months ago, I vomited violently. A few weeks after this, I noticed tha...  Read Full »