Q. Why is there no reduction in the frequency of motion in a child after giving pre and probiotics?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby is 2 months old and he is suffering from motions 9 to 10 times a day. I gave him Cefixime six drops and prebiotic and probiotic 1 ml two times a day but there is no improvement. Please give me advice.

#

There is no role of Cefixime in loose motions without bloody stools in children. Also, children below the age of six months pass stools 10 to 15 times per day or once in 2 to 3 days. So, do not worry. There may be a possibility that you may have changed the formula or feed pattern for the child. As long as the child is active and feeding well you need not worry. Also, check for dehydration in the child by keeping a check on the weight of the child. If the weight of the child is dropping drastically it may indicate dehydration. You can continue pre-probiotic for another 2 to 3 days and if you want to be very sure that whether the baby is fine or not you can do CBC, CRP, SGPT and stool routine microscopy for the child.

|