Q. My 4-month-old daughter passes stool 4-8 times a day which is not her usual. What to do?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

My daughter is four months old now. She breastfeeds only. She used to defecate once or twice daily. Sometimes she defecated once in two to three days. Recently she has started defecating four to eight times a day (generally very small amount though) and her feces have become more liquidy. We went to a doctor who suggested some probiotics and told not to worry. She is otherwise healthy and shows no symptoms of any illness. However, we thought to have a second opinion. We did a stool test and I am attaching the recent one. Please suggest if there is anything to be worried about? She is on usual vitamin and Iron supplements.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is normal for babies to have variable stool frequency. Sometimes they pass once or two times in a day, sometimes more. Some babies have exaggerated gastrocolic reflex, it means they pass stool after almost every feed. No need to worry if the stool is not watery and small amount, baby is passing urine, activities are normal, no fever, and gaining weight. No need to give probiotics or other medication. Continue breastfeeding. Maintain hygiene.

? gastrocolic reflex, ? normal variations of stool frequency.

none

Continue breastfeeding.

Maintain hygiene.

As per your requirement.

| 

Did you saw the stool test report? What do you make of it? After we started iron there is a change in stool color some reddish particles are present. Is it normal? It is not like a red stool. Sometimes the stool is liquid. Should we consider that watery?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

Obviously, I saw the report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not significantly abnormal. And you do not worry, it is not loose. You can see in the report, it is semisolid. Loose stools will be persistently watery. This kind of color is normal after iron therapy. If there is frank blood then it is worrisome. So no need to worry at this point of time.

| 

Can breastfeeding cause jaundice?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 16 days old and is suffering from jaundice. Both mom and son have same B positive blood group. TSH level is normal and vitamin D oral drop is given. I have attached the bilirubin test report for your reference. Does breastfeeding affect jaundice in any way? Please advise us. ...  Read Full »

Why is 2 months old baby having decreased urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having two months old baby. Since two days I am observing that his diapers are not wet and heavy as they used to be. So I checked his urine output by laying him down without a diaper for five hours and fed him twice with two and a half hours gap between each feed. He peed thrice aft...  Read Full »