Q. 36 days old baby is passing stools frequently. Is this normal?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 01, 2019

My baby is 36 days old. He is passing stool very frequently like 15 times with little or more motion but not very heavy in the last 48 hours. The stool was curdy yellowish color, not like runny or watery, no greenish, no blood, no bubbles. He had the same issue when he was 18 days old, and in between, he was healthy but again he kept going motion and redness spotted in anus area with small spots of skin peel.

Baby sleeps well, does not cry, passes urine usually in a good number of times, and only mother breastfeeding every two hours. Please request your advice on how to stop this frequent motion and reason for this happening and is this normal? He also makes a noise like sounding from inside especially more during night time, having trouble while breathing due to a chest cold, so am giving Rinoclear saline drops three to six hours once depending on his nose block. Please advise why baby makes such noise, is it normal?

I was feeding breast milk via bottle for four to five days when he was two weeks old since he was unable to suck through mother's nipple. I stopped bottle when I encountered this frequent motion and with my doctor's advice.

#

I understand your concern.

1. Passing motion too often is a normal phenomenon in neonates (gastrocolic reflex). Make sure baby is passing adequate urine and playful.

2. Redness over the perianal region may be due to prolonged wetness over the part or due to cleaning the area by rubbing. Wear him a napkin and change immediately once wet, the purpose is to keep dry the perianal region as much as possible. Cleaning not to be done by rubbing, it can peel the skin.

3. Try to keep the perianal region dry, and you can apply Rashfree cream (Benzalkonium chloride, Zinc oxide) over the lesion.

4. Making noisy sound is due to a partial blockage of the nose because of nasal secretions. Yes, the saline drops to put on nostril is safe and use full. Proper burping post feed also helps. Not much to worry.

5. Give exclusive breastfeed.

I have a problem with bowel movements. Kindly help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a problem with bowel movements with soft, pasty stools. Lots of small stools after the first bowel movement in the morning. All bowel movements take hours to develop once I feel I am in need of a bowel movement. Often times I have to manipulate bowel movement with a shallo...  Read Full »

Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started c...  Read Full »

Newborn is passing motion nine to 12 times a day. Is it a worrisome condition?

Query: Hello doctor,My son is 25 days old and passing motion nearly nine to 12 times a day. What should I do? Should I go for any drops? Is it a worrisome condition?  Read Full »