Baby Umbilical Cord

Is it safe to apply salt for umbilical granuloma in a newborn baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 53 days old. He has developed umbilical granuloma. I have applied Mupirocin and Neosporin dusting powder, but no change is noticed. Is application of salt will be useful? If so how should I apply that? Someone told me that sometimes granuloma bleeds after application of salt...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Chandarashekhara Bharadwaj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are right about the diagnosis being umbilical granuloma. The treatment for it is the application of copper sulfate crystals over the umbilicus for a couple of minutes and then it has to b...  Read Full »

When will my baby's umbilical cord fall off?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is three weeks old and his umbilical cord has not shed off yet. So, his pediatrician asked us to get a newborn screening done. The reports will come in two days time, but I am a hypothyroid patient and his TSH at the time of delivery was 12.690 mcgIU/mL. I am just a little bit ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of delay in the falling of the cord is the application of lots of antiseptics to the cord. Another cause is leukocyte adhesion deficiency.  Please check if the metabolic screen that you have selected will show it or not. Results of the metabolic ...  Read Full »

My USG says there are only two vessels in the umbilical cord. Is it worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old lady and five months pregnant. In my ultrasound report, it says the baby has two vessels in the umbilical cord. Rest of the reports are normal. The doctor suggested me that everything is fine. But, I am worried regarding the complications due to two vessels. Should I...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? The umbilical cord should have three vessels. Either the doctor missed one vessel or the baby has only two vessels. So, have a confirmatory scan from a center where a high-risk obstetrics specialist is available. A scan by a senior or very experien...  Read Full »