Q. After oil massage, my lower back is full of acne. Any suggestions?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

So I never had acne on the back, maybe one or two single, but after visiting this massage center, which I know was a big mistake, my lower back is full of acne. I tried a couple of ointments, did not work. Cortisone helped a little, but not really. I think I need oral back up, any suggestions?

#

Apply Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 % combination gel at bedtime over the back.

Do not apply Cortisone cream (steroid). It can lead to worsening of the condition.

Clinical photographs would have helped.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Regarding the picture, that is how it was a week ago. Now, it is little better but about the same. And it has been like that for a good few weeks now. You are right I should not use Cortisone on whiteheads, I forgot.

Okay, I get your response, but let me ask you few questions.

First, you do not think I need any oral antibiotics? I want to bring your attention one more time to the fact that I got these acnes after that massage with oils. That is 100 % the reason for them to pop up. I am an extremely clean guy.

And the second thing, I am reading instructions about Adapalene and they say do not mix and apply at the same time with any other ointment at the same spot. Should I still do it, or can you explain this a little bit more? Sorry for such a big text. Just tired of these guys on my back.

#

I have reviewed the clinical photographs attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Without looking at the clinical condition, oral medications cannot be suggested.

You will need oral medications. If you are not allergic to oral antibiotics or do not have any medical condition then I suggest:

1. Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day after meal for two weeks.
  2. Epiduo gel (combination gel of Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 %). So, you do not have to mix it with any other creams. Apply at bedtime for half hour then wash. If you do not get a combination gel then either Adapalene plain or Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 % can be used.
  3. Clindac A solution (Clindamycin 1 %) to be applied once daily. There is no need to wash after application.
  4. Avoid oil or steroid application.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am not allergic to anything I ever have taken. I just thought oral antibiotics will help the best like they always do. So, where can I find these? Would I need a prescription?

#

You will need a prescription for the oral medication capsule Doxycycline. Consult your specialist doctor discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

If brand names are different that is alright. The composition should be as mentioned prior.

|