Q. Please suggest the treatment options for pain in the last disc of back bone.

Dr. Deepika Gorthy

I need the treatment for the pain in the last disc of back bone. Please suggest.

Dr. Deepika Gorthy

Family Physician Microbiology
#

The commonest cause of back pain is mechanical, i.e. because of odd posture while sitting, sleeping and also because of lifting heavy weights. I am not very clear about what you have asked in the question that you need treatment for the last disc. Is that a prolapsed disc or disc bulge? Here are a few suggestions to reduce your low back pain.

1. Maintain a proper posture while sitting, make sure that your back and head and aligned in a straight line while you sit down and also while riding any vehicle.

2. Sleeping supine, i.e. with your lying down with your back parallel to the floor and you facing upwards on a firm mattress is known to reduce the pain.

3. Avoid lifting heavy weights until the pain subsides.

4. Stretching exercises of the back and legs are known to help in the reduction of back pain.

5. Warm compresses, i.e. using a cloth that is dipped in warm water or a water bag (pain relief bag) will give some relief.

6. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg three times a day with eight hours gap for five days may be tried.

7. Diclofenac gel can be applied two times a day over the site of pain.

8. If the pain is very severe or if it is increasing in severity in spite of the above measures, it may be a good idea to visit an orthopedic doctor for a complete evaluation.

| 

Related Video

There is no improvement in my back pain. Does it indicate disc problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. About a month ago, I injured my mid-lower back while doing weightlifting. There is one vertebra that feels bruised to the touch, and I have pain in that one spot when I do certain movements, like bending. I also have a lot of muscle tightness and aching thro...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now