Q. There is no improvement in my back pain. Does it indicate disc problem?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

I am a 35 year old female. About a month ago, I injured my mid-lower back while doing weightlifting. There is one vertebra that feels bruised to the touch, and I have pain in that one spot when I do certain movements, like bending. I also have a lot of muscle tightness and aching throughout my back. I am wondering what the bruised vertebrae could mean. Does it mean any disc issue? I have not had much improvement in the last four weeks since the injury. I took Ibuprofen, but it does not help much for the pain. Thank you.

#

• It is very unusual for a vertebra to be fractured simply by weightlifting unless you are lifting unusually heavy weights.
  • Yes, you can have a disc problem in weightlifting, but it is unlikely to cause tenderness on the surface of the body. You are more likely to get nerve root pain with the radiation of pain into the legs rather than localized to the back.
  • The most likely possibility is muscle or ligament strain. It can cause localized pain, and the pain does not radiate to the legs.
  • Give it time, rest the area and ice the area five to seven times a day. I suggest Naproxen 500 mg thrice a day regularly for at least five days.
  • Also, apply Diclofenac gel locally and avoid weightlifting. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

|