Q. There are lumps at segmented levels with back pain. Why?

Dr. Chitrangada
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I saw a sports injury doctor with mid back pain at night. The first MRI scan was poor quality, so a second was carried out, and that noted elliptical bilateral lumps at segmented levels. I have been referred to a neurologist who is examining the scans. I am seeking clarification that the description in the report does not indicate malignant disease. I only have the reports and not the scans. I had nocturnal mid back pain for four weeks and getting slightly better now.

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) indicates neurofibromas in your dorsal spine, which is a benign growth originating from nerve sheath cells. Often it is symptomless, but at times can give discomfort to the patient due to mass effect and pressure in the surrounding structures.

This growth is usually benign but may rarely turn malignant over a period of time. Your doctor may suggest a biopsy for the same to confirm the cell type.

If you have any more doubts, please feel free to discuss. Thank you.

| 

Thank you for your reply. Based on the description of shape, distribution of lesions, and signal characteristics mentioned by the Radiologist, would you agree that these are unlikely to be metastatic growth?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Yes, I agree that with the description given in the MRI report, the findings favor a benign process.

| 

Related Video

Ask a Radiologist Now