Q. What is the possible treatment for back pain followed by lifting heavy weight?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Oct 29, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was sitting half bent while washing the clothes. There were few buckets full of water one over the other.

I got my back hurt when I tried to bring one of the buckets down. My body has tilted a bit towards left. I am unable to move and walk. It is paining a lot. Usually after work I do will have a slight pain in my back. But today it has increased so much that I cannot even move. Please tell me a medicine and what precautions should I take ? Today I have taken Flexon-MR but it did not reduce the pain.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Actually, you are very young to have persistent back pain and this episode appears to be an acute exaggeration of this pain. Cause of back pain can be due to a muscle strain or a small herniation of an intervertebral disc followed by lifting heavy weight. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc., then you can start with following recommendations initially for a period of two weeks.

• Maintain proper posture of your back while working and sleeping. Also avoid acute forward bending and lifting of any heavy weight till the time your pain subsides.
  • If pain is more, then you can take a short course of an anti-inflammatory medicine which suits you. Normally I advise my patient to take tablet Dolonex Rapid (Piroxicam) along with tablet Ultracet (combination of Tramadol Hydrochloride and Acetaminophen) for pain control.
  • You also need to take medication for muscle spasm like tablet Myoril (Thiocolchicoside). You can start with 8 mg twice a day for five days.
  • Do physical therapy initially under supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home. No exercise to be done iniitially, only modalities like SWD (short wave diathermy) and IFT (interferential therapy) will help.
  • Take adequate calcium and vitamin D if levels are low in your body.
  • Ice packs can be applied at home for three to four times a day, spend 15 minutes for each application.
  • Analgesic spray for local application can be used after ice packs and is easily available too.
  • Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in mornings.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks to see how you respond to this conservative management protocol. Normally, the pain in the back along with the muscle spasm will subside in next five to seven days if you take your medications and observe precautions as advised. If you are not feeling better, then we might have to get some investigations like dynamic x-ray of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

Injury while attempting to lift a heavy weight.

Nothing as of now.

Avoid acute forward bending, lifting of any heavy weight, etc., till the time your pain subsides.

Revert back after seven days or if necessary to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

What can be done for post-ejaculation muscle spasms and nerve irritation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been struggling with chronic prostatitis or CPPS for the past five months. A big issue I have been having is the post-ejaculation muscle spasms or nerve irritation. I am currently in physical therapy to work out the muscle tension or spasms and hoping that helps with the nerve irr...  Read Full »

How can I cure muscle spasms and pain in back, neck and leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been experiencing muscle spasms and pain in the back, neck, and leg since 10 years intermittently. I am currently undergoing physical therapy and chiropractic. However, I wanted to consult from a naturopathic perspective on what can be the root cause of...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now