Q. I have lower and upper back pain for the past two years. Please help.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on Dec 05, 2019

For the last two years, I have back pain in the upper and lower region. I am uploading here with my reports for your reference. Please suggest diagnosis and medicines to cure this disease.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I have gone through your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I would like to ask you a few more queries to see where your disease is heading for. We do have a limitation of clinical examination, but I would do my best to guide you here.

When is the pain more? Is it the morning time or constant throughout the day? Do you have difficulty in turning position at night? Any family history of similar complaints? Any history of redness of eyes or disturbed bowel habits? Do you wake up well in the morning or you feel your body is stiff? Do let me know these queries.

As per your lab reports, most of them are fine except for a couple of things.

1. CRP (C-reactive protein) levels are not done which are important markers for arthritis.

2. HLA-B27 (human leucocyte antigen) has been done by an outdated technique. We prefer doing it by PCR. Never the less let me know these queries and I would guide you to the next best investigation.

? Spondyloarthropathy.

The answers to your queries are:

The pain is more when constantly seating after two to three hours and at night before sleeping as well as when the climate is cool. I do not have any difficulty in turning position at night. Regarding family history, my mom is having arthritis, and yes I have disturbed bowel habits, taking much time. I wake up well in the morning but there is little stiffness in the lower back and in the left leg toe.

Please suggest what further tests need to do and medicines?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Well, as per your clinical symptoms it looks more of a degenerative disease than an inflammatory one. When it comes to the spine, we approach it in two ways. Either there is a lot of inflammation for which you got the test done but it does not match your symptoms. Another way is the disc problem or the nerve problem. I would suggest you go for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the whole spine along with the focus on dedicated parts where there is a problem. Also meanwhile get a physiotherapist to help you as they will speed up the recovery part.

Once you have the MRI do let me know and we can plan further treatment for you.

MRI Screening of the whole Spine (if any problem at a specific part, dedicated images of that part).

Mechanical backache.

Top 5 Tips to Treat Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Though low back pain is considered as a common complaint of elderly people, it can occur almost at any age and any sex. Here, in this article, I have discussed a few tips to overcome low back pain. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Low back pain is a spine related symptom occurring due to various reasons. It can occur due to slipped disc, spondylosis, bad posture, prolonged sitting, fall or trauma, infections in the spine, etc. If untreated, then it may cause serious discomfort and aching. Low back pain may disable a person fr...  Read Article

Whom should we consult for backache and extreme fatigue in a 64 year old?

Query: Hello doctor,This is regarding my 64 year old mother-in-law. She has backache and general malaise. She has also had pain in both the knees for a while now. When climbing stairs or walking on inclined roads, she requires support. She experiences extreme fatigue roughly in the evening between 5 PM til...  Read Full »

I have backache for three years. What does my MRI suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have backache for the last three years. I am a pilot by profession. I am suffering from pain in both upper and lower back. On prolonging standing, I feel pain in the lower back and also under my feet, and while sitting without back support, I feel pain in the upper back. I feel pain...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now