Q. I am suffering from backache due to prolonged standing. What could be the cause?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 26, 2019

I have backache for the last three years. I am a pilot by profession. I am suffering from pain in both upper and lower back. On prolonging standing, I feel pain in the lower back and also under my feet, and while sitting without back support, I feel pain in the upper back. I feel pain in the upper back even if I lower my neck ,

My MRI reports are,

1. Disc desiccatory changes are noted at CV2-CV3 and CV3-CV4 levels.

2. Circumferential disc bulges are noted at CV3-CV4, CV4-CV5 and CV5-CV6 levels causing compression of the thecal sac, narrowing of bilateral lateral recesses and compression of bilateral exiting nerve roots.

3. Circumferential disc bulges are noted at LV4-LV5 and LV5-SV1 levels causing indentation of thecal sac without significant nerve root compression.

Can you please suggest me some solution and what sort of disease I have.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The problems you are facing are due to excessive strain on back and neck muscles. As you said, the reason is the prolonged standing, bad posture of the back and neck. All I can advise, irrespective of what the MRI says is,

1. Avoid bad postures like during reading or watching TV or relaxing or bending to lift weights so on.

2. Avoid pillows.

3. Never sleep in a sitting position with head stooping forward. Avoid neck cracking.

Most important is to build the paraspinal muscles. Do lots of exercises bending back. You can get it on the net. Do not plan for any surgical procedures. Till you build the muscles and till conscious about the back, you can use back support belts throughout the day and neck support collars for the night. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions and for your feedback.

What is MSA?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a balancing problem. I have low blood pressure in change of posture. I am on Midodrine. During a neurological examination, I was asked to tap my toes. Every time when I did that my heel involuntarily tapped several times. What is the reason? I am being examined for possible MSA...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full

Why does my sacrum not stay in place?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to pop my sacrum every day for my hips to feel good. I do this by putting a pillow in between my legs and squeezing my glutes as hard as I can. My question is why does the sacrum not stay in place? What can I do to make it stay in place?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. There are many reasons for sacrum not getting in its position. Mainly posture as faulty posture while sitting, standing, even lying can lead to malalignment of sacrifice iliac joint. Again faulty or improper firing of gluteus and piriformis muscles...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now