Q. Shall I continue Satrogyl-O and Lactogut for dysentery?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I have been suffering from dysentery for the last two days. They are watery to semi-liquid stools. I do not have any stomach pain or nausea. My appetite is normal. I have been burping a lot like when burping during acidity. I have been on fasting for the last 19 days with mostly one meal a day along with some fruits. I also had similar symptoms last week, but within 4 hours without any medicine it became normal. I had Satrogyl-O and Lactogut three times. Though I feel a little better, I still have the dysentery. Can you please recommend some medicine? Or shall I continue this medicine for one more day? Or should I visit a doctor immediately?

#

• The main symptom of dysentery is frequent near liquid diarrhea flecked with blood, mucus or pus.
  • Other symptoms include fever, abdominal pain, bloating, burping, incomplete evacuation, vomiting, nausea, etc.
  • Do you have any of these? If yes, then yours is dysentery and appears to be bacillary dysentery.
  • The medication that you are using is perfect. Continue the same medication.
  • It is most important to replace the fluids lost from diarrhea. Take coconut water, lemon water with sugar or salt and buttermilk.
  • WHO - World Health Organization formulated ORS (oral rehydration salts) or any electrolyte solution.
  • If the frequency is not controlled, then you may take tablet Loperamide or tablet Imodium. The recommended initial dose is 4 mg (two capsules) followed by 2 mg (one capsule) after each unformed stool, but should not exceed 16 mg.
  • Clinical improvement is usually observed within 48 hours. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Be careful with what you eat. Do not eat raw unwashed vegetables or cooled and heated vegetables.
  • Always drink pure water. You may become weaker as you fast. I would advise you to drink as much as fluids before you start your fast if it is compulsory.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|