Q. I passed a lot of bright blood with stool today. Should I be worried?

Dr. Murad Haider
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was constipated yesterday full day. When I went to the toilet today, there was quite a lot of bright red blood. I went again and sat on the toilet without actually doing anything, and there was more blood. I have had cramps as well. Should I be worried right now? I have had bowel problems for like three months.

#

• There are many causes for blood in the stools. The severity can vary from mild bleeding (common) to a severe life-threatening bleeding (uncommon).
  • If the bleeding is heavy or if you have black stools, that is older blood due to a bleed from high up in the gut, then see a doctor immediately or call an ambulance.
  • However, it is often a mild bleed. In this situation, make an appointment with your doctor so that the cause can be found. Tests that he can advise you are sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
  • It can be amoebic dysentery also. In that case, you will be given antiamoebic drugs and fluids.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|