iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal MedicineinfectionWhy do I have diarrhea with blood and mucus for a week?

I have diarrhea for the past one week with blood and mucus. Should I go to the hospital?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Preetha. J

Published At September 18, 2020
Reviewed AtSeptember 22, 2020

Patient's Query

I have been having diarrhea for a week now, and I have to go to the bathroom every few hours. The first day there was blood in it, and now it has mucus. It has been going on for a week. I was supposed to go to a gastroenterologist, but I did not have time to do that because I had to move into college. I am taking Nexoplan, vitamin B12 pills, and Zyrtec. Should I go to the hospital?

Answered by Dr. Sugreev Singh

I will help you do not worry, and I am concerned about you. So commonly, such kind of diarrhea is caused by bacterial or fungal infection. And because we lose fluids when we have diarrhea and vomiting, it is essential to take more fluids so the body would not go into dehydration.

Can you tell me more about it?

1. Is it watery?

2. What is the color of mucus, green or white?

It will help me to suggest the right medicine. You can take Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once a day before a meal for three days. If you have watery and whitish stools, then take tablet Ofloxacin 200 mg twice a day after meal for three days. Most probably, it will resolve. Let me know the color of the mucus so I can add other medicine if needed. Please follow-up after three days.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sugreev Singh
Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy