Q. Why do I get small, red bumps on the side of the opening of my vagina?

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am 22 years old. I have a small lump on the side of the opening of my vagina. It is red and does not grow in size or cause pain. It is located about a half cm to one cm on the left side of the vagina, but I can only feel it when I hover on my knees and push out or when I am done pooping in a sitting position. I cannot feel it when I stand or sit normally. I am using birth control medications. Kindly help.

#

It seems like a Bartholin's cyst, as per your description. It is due to the blockage of the ducts of the glands that are present in the vagina. Currently, you do not require treatment. Only when it becomes painful or has a discharge will you need to seek medical attention as it can become an abscess.

Thank you for answering.

I want to add one more detail. It is located underneath on the sides. I have added a drawing of the location.

#

I have seen the attachment (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) provided. It is typical of a Bartholin's cyst.

|