Q. Explain why some men are not capable of growing full beards.

Dr. Rabia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Nov 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

Why some men cannot grow full beards? Explain why some men are not capable of growing full beards, and can only manage thin, patchy ones. Is this due to testosterone and genetics or something more? How does not being able to grow a full beard potentially impact men psychologically? Can this be emasculating for men or cause issues with self-esteem? Is there anything patchy men can do?

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

Some men cannot grow full beards due to low density of hair follicles in beard area in them and that depends on their genes and hormones. The male hormone testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone by 5 alpha reductase. Dihydrotestosterone is a potent steroid and is responsible for beard growth and male pattern hair loss at the same time.

There are certain conditions that can lead to patchy beard hair loss that is alopecia areata. It is an autoimmune disease and is treatable with topical, oral and intraleisonal steroids. In alopecia areata, men can have their beard grow back. Men who naturally have few beard hairs can be emotionally upset because may be they feel less masculine, it may lead to anxiety, depression, excessive worrisome and impact on psychological health of the person. Others may not bothered about it much. As hormones are responsible for it, it is not a good idea to take hormone supplements only for beard hair growth because it can have other side effects too. However, good oil massage, along with biotin supplements and latest techniques of hair follicle transplant and PRP have good results.

How can I stop hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing a patch of hair loss and it is getting bigger. I had two but the one is gone now. I am very proud of my hair and this makes me emotional.  Read Full »

What can cause less dense beard?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 63 kg. I am currently not using any kind of medicine. My beard is not growing completely and I notice less growth on my mustache. Please help me.  Read Full »

Is it necessary to shave beard before a general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am scheduled next week for out-patient surgery to have a malignant tumor removed from my bladder via a catheter inserted into my urethra. Before that, the anesthesiologist will administer a general anesthetic as well as a muscle-relaxant to keep me from kicking when under. The procedu...  Read Full »