Q. I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka

I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that happened was I had muscle twitches throughout my body on calves, both shoulders, forearms, hand, eyelid, and head for the past five days. What can cause this, and should I be worried?

#

Your symptoms could be related to the adverse effects of this vaccine. Do you have any limb weakness, difficulty walking, or numbness in your limbs?

I recommend trying some Alprazolam to help improve your situation. If you cannot buy this drug (as it needs under medical prescription), I would recommend trying Valeriana and Passiflora supplements, and Magnesium 300-400 mg daily can help too.

If this situation persists, I recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam. Some blood lab tests like complete blood count, PCR, vitamin D levels for possible deficiency, and blood electrolytes are needed.

Yes, I have pain in my arms. When I woke up, it felt like my arms were asleep. Today my twitches are in my cheeks, and this is very scary. I have never had this issue until I got the vaccine. I have no issues walking. It just seems that the twitching is changing spots all the time and not going away. I do have Xanax, and it helps a little, but the twitches are still there. I am just hoping this is not something serious.

#

It could be just benign fasciculations syndrome. I do not think that anything serious is going on based on your description. I recommend avoiding caffeine and taking plenty of water to stay well hydrated. The arm paralysis while waking up is nothing serious (maybe a wrong position during sleep).

If this situation persists, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and performing the above-mentioned tests. I would also advise checking thyroid hormone levels. In the meantime, try to relax and take Xanax time after time.

|