Q. My mom has been suffering from head spinning. Why?

Dr. Sreejith Mg
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mom is suffering from sciatica pain. She is 45 years old. Her doctor suggested complete bed rest for two months. It has been a month for now. She is facing trouble to take breath properly (night times). She is having head spinning and a sensation of falling from bed. She is having high blood pressure and is a diabetis patient. She is on regular tablets. What to do for the head spinning while sleeping on bed?

#

The possibilities for her head spinning are as follows.

Probably, your mom is suffering from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It can be controlled by a tablet like Vertin16 mg (Betahistine) or Stugeron (Cinnarizine) at bedtime or twice daily.

The second possibility is as she is diabetic and hypertensive, we have to think about circulation deficiency to the brainstem, which controls balance. It can be evaluated by doing MRI brain and adding Ecosprin to improve circulation to the brain.

It may also be drug induced. If she is taking Gabapentin or Pregabalin for neuropathic pain, then it may cause giddiness and sway while walking.

It can also be due to hypotension secondary to the hypertensive at night.

Vitamin B12 deficiency also can produce swaying and giddiness. You can confirm it by asking about peripheral numbness and increase in giddiness on standing with closed eyes. It can be corrected by vitamin B12 supplementation.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and ask to add Vertin or Stugeron. See the response. If your mom is not improving, then think about other possibilities.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|