Q. My mother has been suffering from BPPV, and she feels dizzy while walking. Please advice.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2022

My mother has been suffering from BPPV for the past year. At the start, it was severe, but with the time, it became less. It has been ten months, but still, she feels dizziness like her body is slowly moving, and while walking, she complains that floor is getting high and low. Her MRI, four Vessel Doppler scan, and hearing tests were all fine. She has been taking tablet Betahistine dihydrochloride Serc 16 mg twice a day for the last ten months. She is much better but still not recovered fully. Tell me whether it is normal, or should we go for another medication.

Thanks.

#

As your mother is having BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), it is a disease of the posterior semicircular canal in inner ear. Try to know which side of the ear is affected. It gets aggravate while moving head laterally. Epley maneuver is one of the standard methods of treatment done in the hospital.

Self-performing exercise like, the Brandt-Daroff maneuver is performed in the same manner for right and left-sided posterior canalithiasis. The seated patient begins by rapidly lying on one side and then waits until any provoked vertigo subsides. The patient then sits up again and waits once more for vertigo to subside. The next move is to rapidly lie on the other side, wait for any vertigo to decline, and then sit up again. The sequence is repeated 10 to 20 times, up to three times a day, until the patient is asymptomatic. The symmetry of this maneuver makes it appropriate for either left or right-sided pathology. It also makes this maneuver useful when one is uncertain as to the side of the canalithiasis. Try this maneuver seeing on net. I hope this will help you.

|