Q. The hCG report shows serum qual present. What does this indicate?

Answered by Dr. Rashi Verma and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Beta Hcg or Pregnancy Test? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Rashi Verma
MBBS
Family Physician, General Practitioner

I have read your query. There are two types of tests to check for pregnancy. Serum beta hCG qualitative test and beta hCG quantitative test. The qualitative test detects whether beta hCG is present or not. It can detect beta hCG more than 25mIU/ml. The quantitative test detects how much beta hCG is present. It can detect beta hCG as low as 1 mIU/ml.

Result interpretation for qualitative beta hCG test is as follows. If the result comes as positive (present), it means you are pregnant. If the result comes as negative, it means there is no pregnancy. Beta hCG is also raised in certain other conditions like ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, molar pregnancy, and certain tumors. However, these are associated with other complaints also like a pain in the abdomen or irregular periods or bleeding, etc. Sometimes, false positive tests may occur when certain hormones are increased, such as after menopause or when taking hormone supplements. When the test is negative but pregnancy is still suspected, the test should be repeated in one week. When the test comes as positive, a person needs to go to an obstetrician and gynecologist who would evaluate the woman further. Ultrasound is also done to confirm the pregnancy.

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The normal hCG levels in a singleton pregnancy as follows: At 4-5 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-7000.At 5-6 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-32,000.At 6-8 weeks the HCG level ranges between 4,000-150,000.In a twin pregnancy, the levels are 30% higher tha...  Read Full »

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?
Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »
Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.As you can say, the normal beta hCG level is less than 5. So, you should wait for two days and repeat the test.You should do ultrasound pelvis, but after beta hCG report is available.Revert after two days with the report to an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> htt...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full »

I have acne on my cheeks, chin, jawline, and neck for the past four years. Please help.
What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?
Yasmin Birth Control Pills - Quick Facts | Composition | Works | Usage | Side Effects

Also Read Answers From