Q. The hCG report shows serum qual present. What does this indicate?

Answered by Dr. Rashi Verma.

Do you have a question on Beta Hcg or Pregnancy Test? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Rashi Verma
MBBS
Family Physician, General Practitioner

I have read your query. There are two types of tests to check for pregnancy. Serum beta hCG qualitative test and beta hCG quantitative test. The qualitative test detects whether beta hCG is present or not. It can detect beta hCG more than 25mIU/ml. The quantitative test detects how much beta hCG is present. It can detect beta hCG as low as 1 mIU/ml.

Result interpretation for qualitative beta hCG test is as follows. If the result comes as positive (present), it means you are pregnant. If the result comes as negative, it means there is no pregnancy. Beta hCG is also raised in certain other conditions like ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, molar pregnancy, and certain tumors. However, these are associated with other complaints also like a pain in the abdomen or irregular periods or bleeding, etc. Sometimes, false positive tests may occur when certain hormones are increased, such as after menopause or when taking hormone supplements. When the test is negative but pregnancy is still suspected, the test should be repeated in one week. When the test comes as positive, a person needs to go to an obstetrician and gynecologist who would evaluate the woman further. Ultrasound is also done to confirm the pregnancy.

While on PEP, is HIV RNA PCR test conclusive?
Query: Hi doctor,I am a 28 year old male and had unprotected anal-vaginal intercourse with a sex worker, me being the active partner. I was put on PEP immediately within 11 hours post exposure and the first dose of PEP was the tablet TLE (Tenofovir/Lamuvidine/Efavirenz), given to me on the morning of 10th....  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. Perhaps your question was not completely typed. Anyways, your PEP regime of Tenofovir/Emtricitabine and Dolutegravir is recommended one. Continue with it for 28 days. As far as the HIV PCR RNA test is concerned it is not a reliable test ...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?
Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In your case, if pregnancy test has been negative, even till date, then you are surely not pregnant. The delay and irregularity need to be evaluated and investigated to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease), hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia, which are the most...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I see two problems in your history. Let me tell you the reason and solution. Birth control pills come in a pack of 21 or 21 active plus seven dummy pills, or the single dose of an emergency contraceptive pill. Whichever you take, will suppres...  Read Full »

My nose is always blocked and has mucus. Kindly help.
Child is showing tantrums and speaking bad words. Kindly help.
Folic Acid - Uses | Dosage | Side effects | Drug Interactions | Warnings

Also Read Answers From