Q. The beta hCG levels of my wife are very high. Does this signify a healthy pregnancy?

Published on May 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2019

My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result through urine test. We did serum beta hCG test. The report shows hCG level of 1,50,000 mIU/ml. The value looks like very high. Does this value signify a healthy pregnancy? Does it mean a twin pregnancy?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The normal hCG levels in a singleton pregnancy as follows:

1. At 4-5 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-7000.
  2. At 5-6 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-32,000.
  3. At 6-8 weeks the HCG level ranges between 4,000-150,000.

In a twin pregnancy, the levels are 30% higher than the singleton hCG levels. Generally, during the Frozen Embryo Transfer, 3 to 4 embryos are being transferred, and hence the levels can be as high as this 1,50000 IU. But, as you are sure that there were only two transfers, then according to that the value is still higher for a twin pregnancy. Considering the present scenario, this may indicate a molar pregnancy.

It would be important to get an ultrasound pelvis done to identify multiple gestational sacs, and if molar pregnancy is suspected, then an MRI would be warranted. You can follow up with the USG report, and I would be able to guide you better after seeing the reports.

Following IUI, when can I test for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My last period was on the 26th of last month. I had IUI on 7th evening and 8th morning of this month. When can I test for pregnancy?  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now