Q. I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Dr. Prathap
Published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 24, 2019

I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.

Dr. Prathap

#

• Your test reports are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no need to worry.
  • HCV (hepatitis C) virus infection is common in those who were transfused with blood or blood products before 25 years. Before 25 years, the transfused blood is not tested for HCV. As you are transfused just before six years, the chances of transmission are less.
  • Coming to the reports, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) in your test is negative, and it is the qualitative test. Qualitative means they will look into only whether that antigen or antibody is present in your body or not.
  • HCV test you have done is a quantitative test. It means they will look into the exact amount of antigen that is present in the body. The cut-off value for HCV is 1. As your test is 0.2, there is no need to worry. It is normal.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

While on PEP, is HIV RNA PCR test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 28 year old male and had unprotected anal-vaginal intercourse with a sex worker, me being the active partner. I was put on PEP immediately within 11 hours post exposure and the first dose of PEP was the tablet TLE (Tenofovir/Lamuvidine/Efavirenz), given to me on the morning of 10th....  Read Full »

I am an HBsAg carrier. Is there any treatment for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an HBsAg carrier, and I want to travel abroad for a job. I came to know about my status during a medical checkup, and after that, I got my complete blood test done. I am scared after reading about it on the internet. I have attached my test reports for your better understanding. ...  Read Full »

Is hepatitis B curable?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hepatitis B patient. My current status is as follows. HBeAg - negative (0.010), HBV E antibody or Ag - positive (0.031) and HBV DNA quantitative (PCR) less than 17.1 IU/mL. Please advise whether this can be cured to become negative as it is affecting my career.  Read Full »