Q. Is there any treatment for beta thalassemia major?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

One of my daughters has got beta thalassemia major and G6PD deficiency. Is there any treatment for her? Please advice.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• Beta thalassemia major includes a hereditary disorder and is due to genetic deficiency of beta globin chains of hemoglobin. It is transfusion dependent anemia.
  1. Chronic transfusion to maintain hemoglobin at the range of 9-10 gm/dL.
  2. Iron chelation therapy to avoid iron overload.
  3. Surgical splenectomy to decrease number of transfusions but risky.
  4. Cholecystectomy for gallbladder stones.
  • The above therapy is for symptomatic treatment only and not definitive.
  • Long-term cure is possible by allogenic bone marrow transplantation with HLA - human leukocyte antigen match individual.
  • With regard to G6PD - glucose-6-phosphatase dehydrogenase deficiency, prevention of oxidizing drugs, fava beans is that which is required.
  • G6PD deficiency is very much rare in females as it is X-linked recessive. If it is so you should also be having the same. As it is asymptomatic usually neglected.
  • If your daughter has G6PD deficiency disorder your wife should be a carrier and you should be evaluated with quantitative assay for G6PD enzyme analysis as the same that is avoidance of oxidizing drugs is needed for you too.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What diet will you recommend for a beta major thalassemia patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 2.5 years old, is suffering from beta major thalassemia. From her 3 months of age, blood has been transfused either once in 30 or 45 days after checking the blood level. I would request you to kindly advise a good and healthy food diet. Is there any important daily die...  Read Full »

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »

Which is the best diet for someone with thalassemia major?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a patient of thalassemia major. My first blood transfusion was four months ago. There was no need for blood transfusion before that. I have no idea about my disease and now my blood transfusion has reached a count of eight times, meaning eight units in the last three months. I checked...  Read Full »