Bile Duct Disease

I have pain in the upper right quadrant with high LFT values. How to manage it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and had a full body checkup. My liver function test showed the following values. Alanine transaminase (ALT) 104 U/L (method - UV with pyridoxal-5-phosphate), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) 60 U/L and Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) 63 U/L. I am concerned about the LF...  Read Full »

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I can see that you are concerned about your laboratory test. You did not mention alcohol or medication use.Increased liver enzymes can be caused by fatty liver, viral infections, and some less common causes.I would recommend you to do a liver ultrasound, and if it was no...  Read Full »

Based on the reports, please suggest the cause of the sudden changes in the liver.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53-year-old male. Before a year, I had painless jaundice. My MRCP report showed a mass on the head of the pancreas. My endoscopic USG showed a stricture in CBD and so a stent was inserted. My bilirubin came down and Whipple procedure was planned. As my TSH was more than 20 mIU/L...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have two possibilities. You can have long biliary obstruction due to CBD (common bile duct) compression. It can lead to cirrhosis causing biliary cirrhosis. Any abdominal infection can cause portal vein thrombosis. It leads to have a nodular texture in the liver...  Read Full »

Does my mother's MRCP report show the cause for dilated bile duct?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother had an issue with her abdomen. It has been one or two months since she is feeling an unusual pain in the abdomen. It is accompanied by bloating and severe intestinal gas. We saw expert doctors. One of them said the gallbladder is oily. And after seeing the result of the ultras...  Read Full »

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed the history and MRCP report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) of your mother. Oily liver or gall bladder is not an issue. Her biliary ducts are dilated, but there is no obvious cause of dilatation. There is no stone or tumor in it. It m...  Read Full »

How can high alkaline phosphatase be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please tell me how to treat high alkaline phosphatase in blood?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahwish Dildar Abbasi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Alkaline phosphatase levels are measured to detect any kind of liver or bone disorder in the body. ALP raises with blockage of bile ducts which owing to conditions called cirrhosis, inflammation of the gallbladder, the presence of stones in the gallbladder or maybe d...  Read Full »

Can you go through my father's ERCP reports and tell me why he has jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, My father recently underwent an ERCP. I have attached his reports. He now has weight loss and jaundice. Please provide me your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He has a block in the bile duct (the tube which brings liver secretions down to the intestine). This block can be either due to stones o...  Read Full »