Q. What can be done to lower alkaline phosphatase level?

Dr. Mahwish
MBBS
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Alkaline phosphatase levels are measured to detect any kind of liver or bone disorder in the body. ALP raises with blockage of bile ducts which owing to conditions called cirrhosis, inflammation of the gallbladder, the presence of stones in the gallbladder or maybe due to hepatitis. Bone diseases presenting with high ALP include vitamin D or calcium deficiency. I need answers of a few questions before I can suggest treatment. What is your age? Are you on any medications or have you used any medicine in the past six months? Do you have a history of liver or bone disease? Do you have any symptoms of pain? Other than these, I want you to share your ALP report.

Liver disease, drug intake.

Complete LFTs, vitamin D levels, USG abdomen.

Hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, vitamin D deficiency.

Avoid food rich in zinc such as spinach and meat, increase fluid and dairy intake.

I am worried about the side effects of diuretics on kidney. What shall I do?
Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I had a heart attack. Then, I went through angioplasty with stenting. Post heart attack, I was diagnosed with moderate systolic HF with EF at 35%. Currently, I am on Clavix, Rozucor 10 mg, Tide 5 mg, Metocard-XL, Planep 25 mg and Telma 20 mg. I am improving well. My EF ...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your concerns. After thorough review of your health query, I want to answer those questions. Do not be overconscious regarding the issue of the lipid profile. It seems to be fine to go with this. Keep taking healthy diet. Your profile is not too low to worry...  Read Full »

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?
Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your test results, your alkaline phosphatase and total bilirubin are elevated. This means that there is a problem in the liver or the biliary tract. Also, your LDL (low-density li...  Read Full »

I would like help understanding my ultrasound reports.
Query: Hello doctor, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday and got the results today. My ALP is 155 and AST and ALT is within the normal range. I am not taking any medication at the moment, but I would like help with understanding what this means 'liver parenchyma has increased and coarse acoustic ...  Read Full »
Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your abdomen ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows an increased and coarse echotexture with no IHBD (intrahepatic bile duct) dilatation, the main cause is a fatty liver disease which shows an increased echogenicity in the liver. T...  Read Full »

Dolo 650 MG Tablet - Uses | Dosage | Side Effects | Drug Warnings and Precautions
I had vaginal bleeding after passage of big clot. What is it?
I have pain in neck, hand, and weakness due to degenerative changes. Please help.