Q. What can be done to lower alkaline phosphatase level?

Answered by Dr. Mahwish and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Levels or Bile Duct Disease? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Mahwish
MBBS
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Alkaline phosphatase levels are measured to detect any kind of liver or bone disorder in the body. ALP raises with blockage of bile ducts which owing to conditions called cirrhosis, inflammation of the gallbladder, the presence of stones in the gallbladder or maybe due to hepatitis. Bone diseases presenting with high ALP include vitamin D or calcium deficiency. I need answers of a few questions before I can suggest treatment. What is your age? Are you on any medications or have you used any medicine in the past six months? Do you have a history of liver or bone disease? Do you have any symptoms of pain? Other than these, I want you to share your ALP report.

Liver disease, drug intake.

Complete LFTs, vitamin D levels, USG abdomen.

Hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, vitamin D deficiency.

Avoid food rich in zinc such as spinach and meat, increase fluid and dairy intake.

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?
Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your test results, your alkaline phosphatase and total bilirubin are elevated. This means that there is a problem in the liver or the biliary tract. Also, your LDL (low-density li...  Read Full »

Can you help interpret my dad's liver function test results?
Query: Hello doctor, My father is 57 and he had an LFT. I wanted help in interpreting his results.  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I can help interpret the LFT or liver function test results. You can upload the report so that I can suggest accordingly. Revert with more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner  Read Full »

My ALP increased to 278 after stopping Udimarin Forte. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, My 54-year-old father had been operated for gallbladder 14 years ago. Since then, his liver enzymes like SGPT and SGOT remain at 55 and recently his ALP was seen 140 and GGT at 79 which became normal after taking Udimarin Forte tablet. After stopping the medicine, ...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry. Possibly, he has mild fatty liver because of which SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamate-pyruvate transaminase) are mildly elevated. However, the ALP (alkaline phosphatase) is elevated in e...  Read Full »

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Arthritis in Its Many Forms