Q. What can be done to lower alkaline phosphatase level?

Dr. Mahwish D Abbasi

Can you please tell me how to treat high alkaline phosphatase in blood?

Dr. Mahwish D Abbasi

Internal Medicine
#

Alkaline phosphatase levels are measured to detect any kind of liver or bone disorder in the body. ALP raises with blockage of bile ducts which owing to conditions called cirrhosis, inflammation of the gallbladder, the presence of stones in the gallbladder or maybe due to hepatitis. Bone diseases presenting with high ALP include vitamin D or calcium deficiency. I need answers of a few questions before I can suggest treatment. What is your age? Are you on any medications or have you used any medicine in the past six months? Do you have a history of liver or bone disease? Do you have any symptoms of pain? Other than these, I want you to share your ALP report.

Liver disease, drug intake.

Complete LFTs, vitamin D levels, USG abdomen.

Hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, vitamin D deficiency.

Avoid food rich in zinc such as spinach and meat, increase fluid and dairy intake.

| 

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?

Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »

Can you help interpret my dad's liver function test results?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 57 and he had an LFT. I wanted help in interpreting his results.  Read Full »

I am worried about the side effects of diuretics on kidney. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I had a heart attack. Then, I went through angioplasty with stenting. Post heart attack, I was diagnosed with moderate systolic HF with EF at 35%. Currently, I am on Clavix, Rozucor 10 mg, Tide 5 mg, Metocard-XL, Planep 25 mg and Telma 20 mg. I am improving well. My EF ...  Read Full »