Q. I want to know about the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate levels. Kindly advice.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I wanted to understand the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges. I got LFT done for my mother, in that case, itself I want to understand the range. Please advice.

Do you have a question on Bilirubin or Liver Function Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE
Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology

Her indirect bilirubin is slightly high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And this can happen due to numerous reasons. Most common being anemia, dehydration, mild jaundice, and gilbert syndrome. Further evaluation is required. I would recommend her following blood tests,

1. HbsAg and Anti HCV Antibody for Hepatitis B and C.

2. Complete blood count.

Now, as far as Alkaline phosphatase is considered most of the times, it is elevated as a result of calcium and vitamin D deficiency. So I would request for the following tests,

3. 25 hydroxy Vitamin D3 level.

4. Serum calcium.

5. Ultrasound Abdomen.

So as such, I do not find anything serious. With little further evaluation, we would come to know the cause and would help in further treatment. I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

I have ankle and calf muscle pain. Could it be RA?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, suffering from RA from the last two years and recently started the treatment with an orthopedic doctor for AVN of the hip. I have been told by my orthopedician at icliniq to consult a rheumatologist for my ankle and calf muscle pain, and for my RA medication an...  Read Full >>
Dr. Durgesh Srivastava
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through the details of your query, there are a few things to be clarified first. You have not mentioned any involvement of the small joints of hands, wrists or feet. The joints you have mentioned only include large joints. If it is really so, then the likel...  Read Full

Are high sugar and raised liver enzymes side effects of Protonix?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Protonix for almost three weeks for acid reflux. I had some blood laboratory work done and it showed my AST 812 and ALT 1,115. Could this be a rare side effect of Protonix? My glucose also went up to 192 and lipase is 72. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is this the only liver function test you have? I wanted to trend it. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) and Protonix (Pantoprazole) both can cause elevated liver function test, but it is relatively rare with Protonix. I also want to make sure that you are not using Aspir...  Read Full

Why the bilirubin level is elevated consistently since three months?
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full >>
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now