Bilirubin

Kindly comment on my son's bilirubin report.

Query: Hi doctor, I just want you to check the report of my son, who is 3 days old. Kindly check the report and tell me about his health. Is everything fine in the report?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. I have seen the report that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  Today is day 4 of your child and bilirubin total is 8.7 mg/dL and indirect bilirubin is 8.2 mg/dl. This is slightly higher in this age and the ch...  Read Full »

Why does my newborn baby have high bilirubin?

Query: Hi doctor,Our newborn baby was found to have serum bilirubin 20 and direct 18 on the 4th day. Kindly suggest appropriate advice. If we are going for photo therapy, then which light is better?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Serum bilirubin of 20 is high for the baby. The value of 18 mg/dL should be indirect bilirubin, because indirect bilirubin is increased in most cases. If direct bilirubin is so much, then the treatment is different. If it is indirect biliru...  Read Full »

Based on my CBC report, please suggest a further course of action.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old. I am getting muscle pain in legs if I walk a long distance. Also, I am an asthma patient and currently on Theo Asthalin forte tablet and inhaler. Today, I had a complete blood checkup. In the report, the following are highlighted. Total bilirubin count 1.31, red cell di...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your vitamin B12 level is mildly low, which has resulted in early changes in RBC (red blood cell) size. In vitamin B12 deficiency, macrocytes are seen or MC...  Read Full »

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Surgical Gastroenterologist, General Practitioner, Family Physician, Vascular Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With these reports, the picture is like hepatitis. The cause for hepatitis has to be investigated. Further lab investigations like complete liver function test (LFT), ultrasound abdomen and viral markers are needed. Also need the date of these posted re...  Read Full »

What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?  Read Full »

Dr. Tim Evans

Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice represents the deposition of bile pigments, more specifically bilirubin, which can be noticed as a yellow color of the skin and sclera (white part) of the eye. The level of jaundice is usually related to the concentration of serum bilirubin. The normal r...  Read Full »

Why is bilirubin level 1.4 for three months?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full »

Why is my baby's bilirubin levels fluctuating even after 96 hours of phototherapy?

Query: Dear doctor, My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before advising you about the child, I need some information: What are the blood groups of baby and mother? What was the birth weight of the baby? Was the baby born at term or preterm? Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level ...  Read Full »

Please advice about the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges.

Query: Hello doctor,I wanted to understand the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges. I got LFT done for my mother, in that case, itself I want to understand the range. Please advice.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her indirect bilirubin is slightly high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And this can happen due to numerous reasons. Most common being anemia, dehydration, mild jaundice, and gilbert syndrome. Further evaluation is required. I would recommend her fo...  Read Full »

I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. Can I go to work based on my reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. My current bilirubin is 3.1, SGPT 72.4, SGOT 45.8. Can I join the office after four days of bed rest?  Read Full »

Dr. Sathish R

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your question specifically, it is not advisable to go back to work. I have seen your LFT blood reports which are not elevated too high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know if you had done any other blood test, urine test or...  Read Full »

I have grade 1 fatty changes in liver. How to improve my health?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. Recently, I went for a master checkup. To my horror, I found my liver reports abnormal. I have attached my reports for your reference. The ultrasound of abdomen revealed grade-I fatty changes in liver. Apart from this, my triglycerides levels are also elevated. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to get routine checkup (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you got your problem identified earlier. Fatty changes are not good thing. It may lead to cirrhosis. Mild elevation of unconjugated bilirubin suggests syndromes association or hemolysi...  Read Full »