Bilirubin

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With these reports, the picture is like hepatitis. The cause for hepatitis has to be investigated. Further lab investigations like complete liver function test (LFT), ultrasound abdomen and viral markers are needed. Also need the date of these posted re...  Read Full »

What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?  Read Full »

Dr. Tim Evans

Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Jaundice represents the deposition of bile pigments, more specifically bilirubin, which can be noticed as a yellow color of the skin and sclera (white part) of the eye. The level of jaundice is usually related to the concentration of serum bilirubin. The normal r...  Read Full »

Why is bilirubin level 1.4 for three months?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full »

Why is my baby's bilirubin levels fluctuating even after 96 hours of phototherapy?

Query: Dear doctor, My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before advising you about the child, I need some information: What are the blood groups of baby and mother? What was the birth weight of the baby? Was the baby born at term or preterm? Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level ...  Read Full »

Please advice about the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges.

Query: Hello doctor,I wanted to understand the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges. I got LFT done for my mother, in that case, itself I want to understand the range. Please advice.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her indirect bilirubin is slightly high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And this can happen due to numerous reasons. Most common being anemia, dehydration, mild jaundice, and gilbert syndrome. Further evaluation is required. I would recommend her fo...  Read Full »

I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. Can I go to work based on my reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. My current bilirubin is 3.1, SGPT 72.4, SGOT 45.8. Can I join the office after four days of bed rest?  Read Full »

Dr. Sathish R

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your question specifically, it is not advisable to go back to work. I have seen your LFT blood reports which are not elevated too high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know if you had done any other blood test, urine test or...  Read Full »

I have grade 1 fatty changes in liver. How to improve my health?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. Recently, I went for a master checkup. To my horror, I found my liver reports abnormal. I have attached my reports for your reference. The ultrasound of abdomen revealed grade-I fatty changes in liver. Apart from this, my triglycerides levels are also elevated. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to get routine checkup (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you got your problem identified earlier. Fatty changes are not good thing. It may lead to cirrhosis. Mild elevation of unconjugated bilirubin suggests syndromes association or hemolysi...  Read Full »

When will serum bilirubin and yellowness reduce after obstructive jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, Obstructive jaundice has been detected. ERCP was done. Serum bilirubin still very high. MRCP report says everything is alright but neither serum bilirubin nor yellowness has got less.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. In obstructive jaundice, there is an accumulation of conjugated bilirubin in the body due to obstruction at different levels in the hepatobiliary system which causes yellowish discolorat...  Read Full »

Can breastfeeding cause jaundice?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 16 days old and is suffering from jaundice. Both mom and son have same B positive blood group. TSH level is normal and vitamin D oral drop is given. I have attached the bilirubin test report for your reference. Does breastfeeding affect jaundice in any way? Please advise us. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is day 16 of the baby. Bilirubin levels have increased to 15 and it is mainly indirect bilirubinemia. Thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are normal, so hypothyroidism is ...  Read Full »

All my reports are normal except for bilirubin levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you go through the test reports and suggest why the bilirubin is high?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it says there is a mild rise in the total bilirubin, predominantly indirect bilirubin. If the patient is asymptomatic, not to worry. Is there a history of icterus or jaundice ...  Read Full »