Bilirubin

Why is bilirubin level 1.4 for three months?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full »

Why is my baby's bilirubin levels fluctuating even after 96 hours of phototherapy?

Query: Dear doctor, My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before advising you about the child, I need some information: What are the blood groups of baby and mother? What was the birth weight of the baby? Was the baby born at term or preterm? Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level ...  Read Full »

Please advice about the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges.

Query: Hello doctor,I wanted to understand the bilirubin and sodium alkaline phosphate ranges. I got LFT done for my mother, in that case, itself I want to understand the range. Please advice.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her indirect bilirubin is slightly high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And this can happen due to numerous reasons. Most common being anemia, dehydration, mild jaundice, and gilbert syndrome. Further evaluation is required. I would recommend her fo...  Read Full »

I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. Can I go to work based on my reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from jaundice for last one month. My current bilirubin is 3.1, SGPT 72.4, SGOT 45.8. Can I join the office after four days of bed rest?  Read Full »

Dr. Sathish R

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your question specifically, it is not advisable to go back to work. I have seen your LFT blood reports which are not elevated too high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know if you had done any other blood test, urine test or...  Read Full »

I have grade 1 fatty changes in liver. How to improve my health?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. Recently, I went for a master checkup. To my horror, I found my liver reports abnormal. I have attached my reports for your reference. The ultrasound of abdomen revealed grade-I fatty changes in liver. Apart from this, my triglycerides levels are also elevated. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to get routine checkup (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you got your problem identified earlier. Fatty changes are not good thing. It may lead to cirrhosis. Mild elevation of unconjugated bilirubin suggests syndromes association or hemolysi...  Read Full »

When will serum bilirubin and yellowness reduce after obstructive jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, Obstructive jaundice has been detected. ERCP was done. Serum bilirubin still very high. MRCP report says everything is alright but neither serum bilirubin nor yellowness has got less.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. In obstructive jaundice, there is an accumulation of conjugated bilirubin in the body due to obstruction at different levels in the hepatobiliary system which causes yellowish discolorat...  Read Full »

Can breastfeeding cause jaundice?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 16 days old and is suffering from jaundice. Both mom and son have same B positive blood group. TSH level is normal and vitamin D oral drop is given. I have attached the bilirubin test report for your reference. Does breastfeeding affect jaundice in any way? Please advise us. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is day 16 of the baby. Bilirubin levels have increased to 15 and it is mainly indirect bilirubinemia. Thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are normal, so hypothyroidism is ...  Read Full »

All my reports are normal except for bilirubin levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you go through the test reports and suggest why the bilirubin is high?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it says there is a mild rise in the total bilirubin, predominantly indirect bilirubin. If the patient is asymptomatic, not to worry. Is there a history of icterus or jaundice ...  Read Full »

Is my LFT report normal?

Query: Hi doctor,I sometimes get shoulder pain. I consume alcohol once a week. I am attaching my LFT report, please advice. My bilirubin direct is 0.10 mg/dL, bilirubin indirect is 0.5 mg/dL, SGOT is 35 U/L, SGPT is 79 U/L, and ALP is 68 U/L.  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are normal. Liver functions should be elevated three times the normal to be clinically significant. All your reports are perfectly normal. The liver is normal and the shoulder pain has nothing to do with your ...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion about bilirubin level 15.36 in a 9 days old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby boy was born 9 days ago. Mom and the infant, both have B plus blood group. His weight at the time of birth was 3.03 kg. After five days, his bilirubin level was 13.06. Today, the bilirubin level was 15.36. Our doctor advised vitamin D3 oral dose for one year. What is your sugg...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Your child is now 9 days old. Since, both mother and child have same blood group, there are less chances of pathological hyperbilirubinemia. On the 9th day of life, the bilirubin level of 15.36 does not require phototherapy and only repeat...  Read Full »