Q. My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him under phototherapy. I read at a lot of places that bilirubin levels above 20 are at greater risk of cerebral palsy or brain damage. I am too concerned about it. Could you please tell me about this in a little detail? How late are we in the treatment? Is he already at risk of above concerns?

#

I understand the situation you are going through.

• Yes, it is definitely a high level of bilirubin.
  • There will be proper guidelines laid down regarding the management of jaundice in newborn which doctors will follow. If the levels are too high and fall in the exchange transfusion zone, your doctor might go for that procedure.
  • If your baby is active and taking feeds, then the baby's brain is not affected yet.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|