iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatrybipolar disorderI have horrible mood swings. Do I have bipolar disorder?

I am suffering from mood swings. Kindly advice is this due to bipolar disorder.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At May 28, 2019
Reviewed AtOctober 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I want to get some information regarding bipolar disorder because I think I have it. I had horrible mood swings, one moment I am overly happy, and the next moment I feel depressed. My sleeping schedule is also different than usual.

Answered by Dr. Anthony Koller


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Let me answer your questions via some bullets some points to make things easier to understand. You are only 14 years old, and it is very unusual for a significant mood disorder like bipolar mood disorder to manifest at such a young age. However, this does not mean it is impossible but just far less likely. As a young woman at 14 years of age, it can be considered completely to have mood swings and sleep disruption due to premenstrual hormonal changes. Puberty, overall, is a time of huge biological and psychological change and is not uncommon for a person to experience broad mood changes within one day. I feel your mood swings and general well being should have a keen eye kept on them. If you have a severe mental health disorder, it will become clear fairly soon. From your point of view, as long as you are still able to function normally at school and keep up with your academics as well as maintain relatively good social interactions you are very likely not suffering from a severe mental illness like bipolar. Also, consider the extent of your inner sense of personal distress. Sometimes things can seem like the end of the world in puberty but are much less severe when viewed from a different perspective. I think it would be wise if your parents could allow you to see a psychotherapist or counselor regularly going forward for you to unload your feelings in a safe and confidential environment. Also, such a person could keep an experienced eye on you, and if any severe psychiatric symptoms appear, they can be recognized and acted on it correctly. So my final suggestion is to ask your parents if they are willing to help you find a suitably qualified psychologist and counselor that you can see regularly and feel you can trust them with your feelings. Remember if you are unsure about how you feel and if it is reasonable and not something to worry about, it is always better to speak up about how you think, just as you have done here. Thank you.

Treatment plan

For treatment, I suggest you should see a clinical psychologist or counselor regularly.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anthony Koller
Dr. Anthony Koller


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

bipolar disordermood swings

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy