Q. I feel energetic sometimes and down with no hope someday. Is it bipolar disorder?

Dr. Parth N. Nagda

I think I am bipolar. Just a couple of weeks ago, I felt and was told by my friends that I was more energetic and crazy than usual. Now, I feel like there is no hope, and nobody really cares. But there is also that little bit of me that is telling me that I am faking this and that all I want is attention. I just want to know what the heck is up with my head.

#

It is a little early at your age to be diagnosed with bipolar illness. Sometimes that part of normal teenage hormones and puberty, when it is mixed with some depressive symptoms. Basically, if you are depressed, you will feel irritable, low, feel like crying, sad, do not wish to eat, have difficulty sleep, there can be anxiety, tiredness, headaches, etc.

In bipolar illness, there will be a period of these depressive symptoms and then after a period of normalcy, the reverse happens. That is, you feel unusually happy for no reason, there are episodes of spending money excessively on things which you do not need, or maybe excessive use of alcohol, other illicit drugs, sex, irritable behavior, decreased need for sleep and still feeling fresh, grandiose talks and ideas, many non-goal directed activities, etc.

So if you have not had the manic or hypomanic phase, then you probably suffered from major depressive disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.

|