Q. I stopped taking Arip and suffering from insomnia. Please help.

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

Initially, I was diagnosed to have bipolar disorder before 10 years and was cured with Lithium. Then, it relapsed before five years. So, I started to have Arip 20 mg and by last month it was tapered to 5 mg. Now, I am 8 weeks pregnant. When I got to know that I am pregnant, I was advised by the doctor to stop Arip completely. But, I am unable to sleep since then. My doctor recommended Macugold Plus 3 mg, but that did not help my insomnia. Please help.

#

• Pregnancy is a high-risk period. Hence, the risk of relapse is more during pregnancy.
  • It is advisable to take a small dose of medications throughout the pregnancy to prevent relapse.
  • I suggest tablet Serenace 1.5 mg (Haloperidol) at night along with tablet Pacitane (Trihexyphenidyl) 2 mg once daily for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|