Q. In case of low-lying placenta, is it safe to fly?

Published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 28, 2019

Last week, on my second scan (20 week pregnancy), I was diagnosed with the low-lying placenta. I did not have any bleeding or pain so far. I am going for my holiday in five days, and I am wondering if I can fly. Is it safe?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Low lying placenta makes you a high-risk pregnancy anyways and travelling is usually to be avoided in such conditions as bleeding may start due to undue jerks during travelling.
  • But, low lying placenta again is not placenta previa if the lower end of the placenta is more than 2.5 cm away from internal os.
  • Please attach the ultrasound report for an opinion. If it is not placenta previa, then you can travel.

Revert with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your answer. On my scan report, it is mentioned as placenta left lateral low-lying recommending another scan at 34 weeks to check placenta site.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• If they have just mentioned that it is a low lying placenta and not placenta previa and considering that this is a level 2 or anomaly scan, there is a probability of placenta climbing the uterus as the lower segment of uterus shall be formed with the growth of uterus in due course of time.
  • But still, it is important to keep vigil and not try to walk fast, jump, or try lifting any weights. Also, most importantly, no intercourse till final placental location is reconfirmed by the 34th week of gestation.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I travel by air during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had ectopic pregnancy last year and now am 11 weeks pregnant (normal). Can I travel through flight for more than 20 hours? I have thyroid. Right now my thyroid level is bit higher. I am on medication for thyroid.  Read Full »

Bleeding with clots and tissues,due to low-lying placenta. Is this placenta previa?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 35 years old and first time pregnant. She got pregnant naturally. She is running into 18 weeks and five days as of today. No history of any fertility treatment ever. Last week, she had bleeding with clots and tissues (one pad soaked each time) twice in four days interval. W...  Read Full »