Q. Is it advisable to have long flight travel during pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Feb 11, 2019

I had ectopic pregnancy last year and now am 11 weeks pregnant (normal). Can I travel through flight for more than 20 hours? I have thyroid. Right now my thyroid level is bit higher. I am on medication for thyroid.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please ensure that you are not a high-risk pregnancy as per your obstetrician before traveling. Air travel is allowed during pregnancy (except high-risk cases like threatened pregnancy, high BP, diabetic, twins), just keep the following things in mind especially for more than four hours stretch flight.

Drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated. Move around in the flight to keep the blood flowing through your legs, otherwise, you may develop foot swelling and cramps. Do some stretching exercises of legs while even sitting and watching the movies every 30 minutes. Prefer a break journey flight, so you do not feel nauseated due to closed flight space. Maintain sleep pattern same to prevent jet lag and sleeplessness. Take your usual medicines and an extra dose of antacid and anti-emetic. Also, travel with all pregnancy-related documents, and have a fit to fly certificate from your obstetrician, as many flights ask for it in advanced pregnancy.

Have light and frequent meals, keep some food stacked in your purse, for frequent snacking, rather than hostess serving you at fixed times. Wear graduated compression stockings in flight long haul flights. Enjoy your journey without worrying much.

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full »

How to avoid recurrence of ectopic pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had an ectopic pregnancy seven months ago. Through a surgery right side fallopian tube was removed at that time. Now what kind of treatment does she need to avoid ectopic pregnancy again? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article