Q. Can birth control pill cause alterations in mental well being?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

I have been on birth control for the past five to six months. I have switched pills twice because my periods have been highly irregular and unpredictable. However, my period just got over. Anyways, I had unprotected sex last week. And within four hours, I took Plan B because I was unsure how birth control affected unprotected sex with irregular periods.

When I had sex I was on my placebo pills. Since then, I have become sleepless. And because of it, I have been paranoid and started to have abdominal pain (that may be in my head). I would really like to put my mind at ease. Do you think my mind is sound?

Please help.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

Since you have already taken Plan B (Levonorgestrel), there is no chance of pregnancy as the pill will take care of it. Headache and sleeplessness could be because of stress and strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, change in climate, or hormonal changes due to the pill you have taken. So relax and do not worry.

However, if you have doubt, get a urine pregnancy test with an early morning urine sample to ensure that you are not pregnant if you miss your period.

Do get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.

Take care.

|