Q. I am on OCP. Is there a chance to get pregnant?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor, I am on OCP for last five to six months. I was fine. What happened this month is, due to worry, I have overdosed myself with OCP. I took,

• 3 OCPs last Wednesday
  • 3 OCPs last Friday
  • 2 OCPs last Saturday
  • 3 OCPs last Sunday by 7 PM
  • Yesterday (Monday) I took only one OCP at 1:30 PM but I took an i-pill around 1 PM.

I had sex on Saturday afternoon. Today is my last day of OCP cycle. I found little brownish discharge this morning. I am worried. 1. What could be the cause for this spotting? 2. If I take another i-pill today would it be helpful for me or worsen the matter? Please suggest what to do.

#

I have read and understood your problem. I am really concerned about your anxiety.

Normally, there is no chance of getting pregnancy. But, you have taken 12 OCPs in six days Wednesday to Monday and one i-pill too.  Due to the excessive dosing, there is spotting. Even if you do not want pregnancy taking another i-pill today will not help you.

Today is your last day of OCP, so in next few days you will get a normal bleeding/menstruation. After which you can use a progesterone containing intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) inserted by a gynaecologist.

Also I understand that you have excessive anxiety and fear of pregnancy. So, I suggest you should consider counseling by a psychiatrist/psychologist. But be assured that you are fine and do not take unnecessary extra doses, because one OCP daily is enough. You may put a mark on the calendar as soon as you take the daily dose.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Yesterday was my 21st day of OCP cycle. I took 2 pills last night and 1 pill today morning. I could not resist this compulsion. Now I am feeling that I have done something wrong. Now my spotting has stopped.

My doubt is, as I have taken one pill today morning that is the 22nd day, do I need to start a new OCP pack from today? or should I stop here and wait for period? Approximately after how many days will I get my period?

#

• If you want to continue OCP, then stop today and start after a week
  • But I think your anxiety and compulsion is not suitable for OCP. Because you are taking very irregular dose of i-pill, which are not desirable. So you should try using independent modes like IUCD for contraception.
  • You may get periods within 7 days.

For further information contact an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|