Q. Is there a possibility for an abnormal baby if grandkids of own sisters marry?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I want to know if my two sister's grandson and granddaughter get married, will their baby become abnormal? Or will the marriage affect their kid in any other way? Please explain.

#

• It would depend if the sisters were married to their cousins or if the parents of the grandkids were cousins. If yes, then the chances of abnormalities increase with each generation.
  • If any of the two previous generations were not related, then the chances are very low.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The grandparents are real sisters. The parent of the boy and girl are cousins and they have married to someone else. So, is the possibility are same to have abnormal babies?

#

• The chances are relatively less, since both the parents, although were cousins got married outside of the family.
  • The challenge, however, is to get the approximate risk by knowing the type of disease or congenital abnormalities.
  • I would like you to know that there are three different patterns of inheritance, some of them are mitochondrial and that goes from mother to kids and others are X-linked and becomes a disease in the sons only.
  • It would be very helpful if you could kindly explain which congenital abnormality are you looking for exactly.

Revert back with the doubts to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|