Birth Defects

What can cause heart murmurs in a 9-day-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 9 days old. Heart murmur was identified during check with the pediatrician. He said that the cardiovascular system is abnormal with soft systolic grade 2/6 murmur at LSB. We have done the echocardiogram and the results are as follows: Ventricular septal defect (Q21.0) with stab...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your trust in our services. I have carefully reviewed your query and can well establish the sensitivity of the health issues you described. The baby has actually got congenital heart malformations that are abnormalities in the development of normal heart stru...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of an abnormal baby if grandkids of sisters marry?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to know if my two sister's grandson and granddaughter get married, will their baby become abnormal? Or will the marriage affect their kid in any other way? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would depend if the sisters were married to their cousins or if the parents of the grandkids were cousins. If yes, then the chances of abnormalities increase with each generation. If any of the two previous generations were not related, then the chances are very lo...  Read Full »

Is there any test to determine the chances of a person having abnormal kids?

Query: Hi doctor, Can normal tests tell that a person will have abnormal kids or no kids at all? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that I am not sure which test are you referring to? If you are referring to semen analysis, then unless the tests remain normal the likelihood of having kids is high. But, this test would not tell about the abnormality of kids. If you are referring to geneti...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to dilate an obstructed nose without surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 3 weeks old and she has a problem with her right nose. She cannot breathe and the physicians said me that it is an obstruction but not an imperforation. The physicians tried to aspire and the secretions are gelatin. The secretion is bacteriologically negative. The next ste...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details you have provided it seems like unilateral choanal atresia (blockage of nasal passage). Choanal atresia can be unilateral or bilateral also can be bony or membranous. It is a congenital problem that is from birth.  In unilateral, if membranous then we ne...  Read Full »

What causes restricted eye movement?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 10 days old. His right eye has never turned towards right. It has looked left, straight, up and down but never right. His left eye has a full range of movement. I have read about squint strabismus. However, I do not read anything about a restricted eye movement. Should I be conc...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. Restricted eye movement suggests two things: Duane Retraction syndrome (DRS). Congenital sixth nerve palsy. DRS is usually associated with decrease in palpebral aperture in left gaze and normal in attempted right gaze. So look for that. Both the above are conditions assoc...  Read Full »

I have structural birth deformity in hand. Is this defect hereditary?

Query: Hello doctor, I was born with a structural birth defect where my left hand is completely deformed. My left arm is normal from the wrist and above. I would like to know if this defect is hereditary if I try to have a child. What are the risk for me as a father passing any defects to my future childr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. It will be of great help if you can send me the picture of your deformity. I will be happy to help you further.  Read Full »

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your dilemma, but be assured a gap of seven to eight weeks is pretty long enough for the drug to be out of our system and cause any damage to your baby. The half life of cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less t...  Read Full »

What can be done for a short neck?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having short neck since birth. I am attaching my recent x-ray report with this post. Kindly help me out in understanding my condition. What particular solution would you suggest for the same? I also came across cervical traction devices. Will they help in my case? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The condition you have is called as block vertebrae or congenital fusion of cervical vertebrae. This is most likely a congenital problem. That means this is present right from the birth. Other...  Read Full »

How is preauricular sinus infection treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has a preauricular sinus infection for almost 24 days now. He is taking antibiotics regularly, but the infection is still there. Pus is getting produced on a daily basis. Twice the doctor brought out pus through a syringe. He also made a cut to drain the pus, and then he made ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A preauricular sinus is a tract that opens outside through a punctum and it is lined by epithelium. Imagine a very small tube lined by epithelium which produces skin over it and debris. With time the debris gets accumulated provides a nidus for bacterial growth and bec...  Read Full »

Is ASD a dangerous condition?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years 4 months old. He weighs 11 kg. When he was 4 months old, his doctor recommended me to take echo test. In echo he found acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report showed a small ASD 6 mm left to right shunt RA RV. Normal biventricular function. Mild PS GMAX 20 mm ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ASD (atrial septal defect) is a hole in partition between two upper chambers of the heart. If it is of patent foramen ovale (PFO) type then usually after two years it closes by itself. But, if it is an ostium secundum OS ASD type, then it will not close by itself. But, a ...  Read Full »