Birth Defects

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your dilemma, but be assured a gap of seven to eight weeks is pretty long enough for the drug to be out of our system and cause any damage to your baby. The half life of cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less t...  Read Full »

What can be done for a short neck?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having short neck since birth. I am attaching my recent x-ray report with this post. Kindly help me out in understanding my condition. What particular solution would you suggest for the same? I also came across cervical traction devices. Will they help in my case? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The condition you have is called as block vertebrae or congenital fusion of cervical vertebrae. This is most likely a congenital problem. That means this is present right from the birth. Other...  Read Full »

How is preauricular sinus infection treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has a preauricular sinus infection for almost 24 days now. He is taking antibiotics regularly, but the infection is still there. Pus is getting produced on a daily basis. Twice the doctor brought out pus through a syringe. He also made a cut to drain the pus, and then he made ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A preauricular sinus is a tract that opens outside through a punctum and it is lined by epithelium. Imagine a very small tube lined by epithelium which produces skin over it and debris. With time the debris gets accumulated provides a nidus for bacterial growth and bec...  Read Full »

Is ASD a dangerous condition?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years 4 months old. He weighs 11 kg. When he was 4 months old, his doctor recommended me to take echo test. In echo he found acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report showed a small ASD 6 mm left to right shunt RA RV. Normal biventricular function. Mild PS GMAX 20 mm ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ASD (atrial septal defect) is a hole in partition between two upper chambers of the heart. If it is of patent foramen ovale (PFO) type then usually after two years it closes by itself. But, if it is an ostium secundum OS ASD type, then it will not close by itself. But, a ...  Read Full »

Is the patient free from Fanconi anemia if reports are negative for chromosomal breakage syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor,The findings during chromosome breakage study for Fanconi anemia are not in favor of chromosomal breakage syndrome. Is the patient totally free from the Fanconi anemia?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In Fanconi anemia, there is a presence of birth defects along with severed degree anemia. If such a finding is present, then further work out has to be done for that. I have checked your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not showing any c...  Read Full »

Can rubella of 3 IU/mL affect my pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My rubella is 3 IU/mL non-reactive and I am six-weeks pregnant. Do I have rubella infection? Are there any chances of any birth defects?  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rubella is a serious infection to affect pregnancy. Your blood report only states that you had a rubella infection only some time in life. It does not seem to be an active infection. You get it only once. So all you need to know is that that was an infection ...  Read Full »

I am pregnant, and I went into a temperate pool, which was 98 F. Will it affect my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I found out that I am pregnant, and the next day I went to a spa. Knowing that hot tub and sauna are not good for me, the lady at the spa told me to go to the temperate pool, which was 98 F. I went for five minutes, and now I am so scared. Did I do something wrong? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry, sauna is to be avoided in pregnancy, but not ones with temperature as body temperature. The lady at the spa was wise. Make sure you take your antenatal vitamins throughout pregnancy. For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --...  Read Full »

Why did my doctor suggest quadruple marker test for my pregnant wife?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is pregnant. Her doctor has suggested us to get a Quadruple marker or triple marker study test. Why does he suggest this test? What is the use of that test?  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is done to screen for the possibility of certain birth defects in the baby like Down's syndrome, abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord. The quadruple test or triple marker test should be performed during the 15th and 20th week of pregnancy. For further information...  Read Full »

What are the risks of MMR vaccine during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in an unplanned pregnancy of 6 weeks. Two to three weeks after conceiving, I unknowingly drank wine when I was highly stressed. I had a fluoride treatment at the dentist and received an MMR booster vaccine. My doctor is concerned about the potential risks. Online sources seem fine or...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MMR vaccine is a real threat in a pregnant state (mumps, measles and rubella). Yes, nobody could say you either continue or terminate the pregnancy. Just go through the details. If you wish to adopt the potential risk, then you can continue. For further information...  Read Full »

What is the risk of heart murmur in a 9 days old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 9 days old. Heart murmur was identified during check with the pediatrician. He said that the cardiovascular system is abnormal with soft systolic grade 2/6 murmur at LSB. We have done the echocardiogram and the results are as follows: Ventricular septal defect (Q21.0) with stab...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your trust in our services. I have carefully reviewed your query and can well establish the sensitivity of the health issues you described. The baby has actually got congenital heart malformations that are abnormalities in the development of normal heart stru...  Read Full »