Q. I am having black spots on the tongue. What might be the cause for it?

Dr. Subha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 17, 2021

I am having black spots on the tongue. What might be the cause for it?

#

Black spots on the tongue might be due to:

1. Hyperpigmentation of the tongue (present since birth) for which you need not worry.
  2. Exposure to any chemicals.
  3. Tongue piercing.
  4. Scar due to any oral surgical procedures.
  5. An initial stage of a condition called hairy tongue.
  6. The initial stage of any oral cancer, which is very rare and has many other features.

Avoid colored foods, brush twice daily and clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner.

Avoid harsh scraping of the tongue while cleaning to prevent damage to the taste buds.

Kindly give a detailed history of the duration of the spots, exact location and family history for more help.

For further information consult a dentist online--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|