Q. I am having black spots on the tongue. What might be the cause for it?

Answered by Dr. Subha and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Black Spots On Tongue or Hyperpigmentation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Subha
BDS
Dentistry

Black spots on the tongue might be due to:

1. Hyperpigmentation of the tongue (present since birth) for which you need not worry.
  2. Exposure to any chemicals.
  3. Tongue piercing.
  4. Scar due to any oral surgical procedures.
  5. An initial stage of a condition called hairy tongue.
  6. The initial stage of any oral cancer, which is very rare and has many other features.

Avoid colored foods, brush twice daily and clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner.

Avoid harsh scraping of the tongue while cleaning to prevent damage to the taste buds.

Kindly give a detailed history of the duration of the spots, exact location and family history for more help.

For further information consult a dentist online--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Candidiasis and Its Spectrum of Manifestation
Article Overview: This article discusses about the clinical presentation and management of candidiasis.  Read Article »

An infection caused by the yeast (fungus), Candida albicans is known as candidiasis. This infection is usually confined to the skin, nail, mucus membranes and gastrointestinal tract. But, it can also infect internal organs and cause systemic disease. Candida albicans is an oval yeast, which divides ...  Read Article »

How can I get rid of post acne hyperpigmentation?
Query: Hello doctor,I need to get rid of the post acne hyperpigmentation that is a year old. I have had post-acne hyperpigmentation on my arm and back since I was 15 years old and have tried everything to fade and nothing works.  Read Full »
Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Post acne hyperpigmentation lasting for so long is not very common. 2. There are two kinds of options for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Either using creams at home which I will prescribe you below or going for cosmetic procedures like microdermabrasion, or...  Read Full »

What should I do to reduce the hyperpigmentation and dark circles under my eyes?
Query: Hello doctor, I had undergone a Co2 laser treatment around my eyes about three and half years ago. Now, I am left with dark circles under the eyes along with hyperpigmentation and redness. About one and half weeks back, the doctor prescribed me a cream that has Kojic acid 1%, Glycolic acid 5%, Beta...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reviewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest you a moderately potent topical steroid like Fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily for a few days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with h...  Read Full »

Streakiness seen in X-ray of lower lung. Could this be IPF?
How can I manage headache and depression caused due to abuse?
Meprate 10 MG Tablet - Uses, Side Effects, Substitutes, Compositions, Dosage