Q. What should I do to reduce the hyperpigmentation and dark circles under my eyes?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had undergone a Co2 laser treatment around my eyes about three and half years ago. Now, I am left with dark circles under the eyes along with hyperpigmentation and redness. About one and half weeks back, the doctor prescribed me a cream that has Kojic acid 1%, Glycolic acid 5%, Betamethasone dipropionate 0.1% and Chamomile extract 5%. The doctor asked me to put this cream at night with no lights. However, I do not see any improvement. I think it looks bad. What can I do now? I am uploading my pictures. I am using Bepanthen and sunscreen. Currently, I am taking Synthyroid, Cytomel and Progesterone.

#

I have gone through your query and reviewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I suggest you a moderately potent topical steroid like Fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily for a few days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Protect yourself from the sun. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen throughout the day.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I do not want to take corticosteroids because it gives me insomnia and also causes thinning of my skin after using it for just three days. Can you suggest something else?

#

• Using a moderately potent topical steroid for two weeks. It would not cause skin thinning as systemic side effects.
  • Anyways, an alternative is to use the mildest over-the-counter topical steroid like Cortisone (1% Hydrocortisone), which is absolutely safe. It would not cause thinning or any systemic side effects.
  • If you do not want to use steroid creams, then you may use just a simple moisturizer twice or thrice daily and also use a Kojic acid 2% cream, twice daily. Protect yourself from the sun. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|