Q. My father is found to have bladder cancer. How do we know the cancer stage?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

My father found out he has bladder cancer. It was confirmed today with a scope. The doctor said most tumors look like polyps, but in his case, it was different in shape. I have attached an image of what my dad said it looked like when he glanced at it. The doctor also said it looks pretty aggressive. Can you tell me what we are likely dealing with? He gets his CT scan this Thursday.

#

Thanks a lot for consulting.

This picture shows classical, transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Management is by resection and staging CT scan, then the decision on the treatment can be taken.

Bladder cancer is usually aggressive and should be treated as soon as possible.

Sometimes after initial resection, there will be re-resection all depends on the historical result for the first resection histological result.

Prognosis and follow-up will also depend on histology.

What are some signs to know that it is has gone to stage 4? We are not getting the CT scan till Thursday, and I am so scared of that stage.

#

There are different stagings.

One is pathological staging which we can see on histology of the resected tissue. The other one is radiological staging on the CT scan stage 4 means the disease has gone to invade surrounding tissues like the rectum or even body wall and spread to liver bones and lymph nodes. So classically person could have yellow discoloration of eyes, constant bone pain, and weight loss significantly if CT scan will be done on Thursday no issues. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

You can update me after the CT scan results.

Kind regards.

|