Q. Maintenance drugs in kidney carcinoma patient has been stopped. What is your opinion?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Kidney Cancer or Blood Pressure? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My dad is 78 years old and was diagosed with stage 4 transitional cell carcinoma of left kidney for which he underwent a neprourectomy. It is six months now and he took immunotherapy for the same. He had three doses of Ketruda but with third dose he developed pneumonitis and changes in lung. He had blood culture but no infection was present so they treated with steroids for 10 days, after stopping steroids he developed some tiredness and fever for which he was put on antibiotic Bactrim. But after he took that for a few days, he was better but just two days back he developed extreme drowsiness, slurring of speech and confusion. He was advised to rush to a nephrologist because his creatinine was 3.7 and his HB was 7. His potassium levels were high too and ESR was 120, lymphocytes were low.

So, they took out all the drugs he is presently on to stabilise his creatinine and potassium levels and transfused blood. My question is he was on maintainance drugs for 40 years of which Sartel 40 for hypertension, Glyciphage for diabetes, Liofen and Gabantin for trigeminal neuralgia and Ativan for anxiety have been withheld. Do these drugs cause any interference with his kidneys? Please let me know because I want a second opinion and be double sure that this is the right thing to do.