Q. I am a 40-year-old non-smoker woman with hematuria. Do you think I have a bladder cancer?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2021

I am a 40-year-old female. Three months back, I started to have frequent urination and a heavy feel in the lower abdomen during urination after sex. I had gross hematuria after urination three times. I consulted a doctor and she gave me tablet Fosfomycin for two days. I took it immediately and I felt better in three hours of taking it. On the next day, I took a urine test and analysis. I had 40,000 e.coli. I believe that it would have been more on the previous day. After taking tablets, I was fine. Generally, I do not drink much water.

After getting a smell in my urine, I started to drink a lot of water for a couple of days and I frequently urinated for the next two days. My symptoms got subsided. I did an ultrasound and blood test 15 days back. Everything was fine. Yesterday, I got the same symptoms. I consulted a urologist and he told me to have a check-up.

After that, he prescribed me Ciproxin and Cranberry pills. He told me that E.coli is not resolved and so you have symptoms. I did not do a urine test immediately as I started taking antibiotics immediately. I drank a lot of water and it cleared my symptoms. I searched online regarding the symptoms of hematuria. It showed me bladder cancer. I became afraid. My urologist asked me to do an ultrasound of the bladder and urine test after taking pills. Kindly give your second opinion.

#

You have an unlikely chance to have bladder cancer considering your age and your symptoms do not associate with cancer. Bladder cancer occurs in aged peoples having prolonged smoking habits with painless hematuria. Your symptoms are related to infection and cystitis of the bladder. Your previous treatment with an antibiotic course is inadequate. Now, you need to take Ciproxin 500 mg (Ciprofloxacin) for a week and repeat urine tests.

I am on the seventh day of Ciproxin and today, I have frequent urination again. But there is no blood. But I have pressure in my urethra especially while walking. Why? I will have my periods today.

#

You need to repeat urine culture tests after 48 hours of finishing seven days of treatment. If your symptoms persist even after taking treatment, then you need to do flexible cystoscopy. It is a small procedure of two minutes. Then take a biopsy from the bladder to have a proper diagnosis. Have a follow-up after getting the results.

|