Q. I am a Von Willebrand disease patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils. Please help.

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 02, 2019

I am a Von Willebrand disease (vWD) type 3 patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils, having underskin blood spots and pain in my ankle. These symptoms are new to me. Please help.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Bleeding is known to occur through nostrils and also in muscles, under skin, etc.
  2. An evaluation of Von Willebrand factor (vWF) levels is necessary to rule out any serious quantitative deficiency.
  3. Before that bleeding time, prothrombin time (PT), activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) can be done for screening for any other causes.
  4. If you are on any medications, recently started, it needs to be looked into closely as it might be affecting.
  5. Do get the tests done and look closely into any recent medications or change in dose of medications for vWD.

Hope it helps.

|