Q. Multiple sore like protrusions around an eye is spreading to the other. Will it cause blindness?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

My 4 year old nephew with autism had a swollen right eye four days ago, which turned into infection with multiple sore like protrusions around the eye. It is now spreading to the left eye. The doctors at the children's hospital have no idea what it is, but they have not ruled out herpes. Test results on discharge were either inconclusive or not ready, even though it has been more than 48 hours. A doctor even said that he feared that the condition might cause blindness. He is on three different types of IV antibiotics, but it looks like his condition is spreading to the other side of his face now. Due to his autism, we cannot rely if he is in pain or discomfort. It kills us to see him suffer. We would appreciate if you could provide us any information.

#

• The condition looks like herpes blepharitis and conjunctivitis.
  • In children, we suggest oral Acyclovir and have to observe his cornea as it may spread to the cornea also. He has to be kept under observation by a pediatric ophthalmologist. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine with their consent.
  • Antibiotics will not help much.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|