Q. Multiple sore like protrusions around an eye is spreading to the other. Will it cause blindness?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhev Mittal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Blepharitis or Herpes? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 4 year old nephew with autism had a swollen right eye four days ago, which turned into infection with multiple sore like protrusions around the eye. It is now spreading to the left eye. The doctors at the children's hospital have no idea what it is, but they have not ruled out herpes. Test results on discharge were either inconclusive or not ready, even though it has been more than 48 hours. A doctor even said that he feared that the condition might cause blindness. He is on three different types of IV antibiotics, but it looks like his condition is spreading to the other side of his face now. Due to his autism, we cannot rely if he is in pain or discomfort. It kills us to see him suffer. We would appreciate if you could provide us any information.