Q. Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Answered by Dr. Atishay Bukharia and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hiv Testing or Acyclovir? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can start PEP tomorrow but it may not be needed if she tests negative. My questions are if I start PEP can I stop if I find it is not needed? How much does one trust an Oralquick test? I read they can have 7 % false negatives. Does taking Acyclovir have any effect on HIV or PEP? Should I do PEP?