Q. Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Published on Feb 14, 2018

I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can start PEP tomorrow but it may not be needed if she tests negative. My questions are if I start PEP can I stop if I find it is not needed? How much does one trust an Oralquick test? I read they can have 7 % false negatives. Does taking Acyclovir have any effect on HIV or PEP? Should I do PEP?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Acyclovir has no effect on PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). Yes, it would be wise to start PEP and later you can stop it.

Oraquick is not reliable after two days of exposure.

Hope it helps.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

My question was how much to trust a negative from an Oraquick tests? She tested negative two months ago and she could test tomorrow again. In regards to PEP, is it dangerous to start it and stop early (if she tests negative tomorrow) for future use? Could it affect the medicine effectiveness in the future?

#

After four weeks of exposure, OraQuick is sensitive up to 99 percent.

One or two doses of PEP is not going to make any difference and no way it affects the future course of medication. Hope it helps.

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Below are the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usua...  Read Full

Can a purple blotch on the nose mean that I have Kaposi's sarcoma?

Query: Hello doctor,I had protected sex with a sex worker last year. After sex, I forgot to clean my scrotum and did not realize until 30 minutes later. I had a negative OraQuick at six months and a negative rapid blood test at 10 months, but I read that false negatives can happen. I do not remember having...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used these days to diagnose HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Your negative HIV test results at six and then at 10 months of exposure are accurate. I am quite sure you are HIV negative. Kaposi...  Read Full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now