Q. Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can start PEP tomorrow but it may not be needed if she tests negative. My questions are if I start PEP can I stop if I find it is not needed? How much does one trust an Oralquick test? I read they can have 7 % false negatives. Does taking Acyclovir have any effect on HIV or PEP? Should I do PEP?

#

Acyclovir has no effect on PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). Yes, it would be wise to start PEP and later you can stop it.

Oraquick is not reliable after two days of exposure.

Hope it helps.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

My question was how much to trust a negative from an Oraquick tests? She tested negative two months ago and she could test tomorrow again. In regards to PEP, is it dangerous to start it and stop early (if she tests negative tomorrow) for future use? Could it affect the medicine effectiveness in the future?

#

After four weeks of exposure, OraQuick is sensitive up to 99 percent.

One or two doses of PEP is not going to make any difference and no way it affects the future course of medication. Hope it helps.

|