Q. Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.

Dr. Ambekar Sudheer

Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows:

• Cannot raise left eyebrow.
  • Cannot tighten left nostril.
  • Cannot move lips (left side).
  • Left eye constantly watery.

Which steroid and what strength do I need to take? I am already taking Acyclovir 800 mg four times a day.

#

I suggest we do not start on steroids now as there is an active herpes infection which can flare up with steroids.

Once it is six to eight weeks of Acyclovir therapy, we can start Dexamethasone 4 mg eighth hourly. However, you will have to consult your physician, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for the advice. So, as of now, I do not need to take any specific medicine for facial palsy? If yes, then how will it get cured? I cannot remain like this for six to eight weeks.

#

The facial palsy does recover completely over time. You need to start physiotherapy as soon as possible.

|